Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Cracked Header

Old 10-10-2011, 05:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess I'll take mine to Bakersfield Jeep and see if they'll cover it.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:25 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
What mileage are you guys having issues with your manifolds?
Driver side cracked prolly around 28,000 somethin, didn't get it fixed till 34,000, it had 3 cracks in different places. Replaced under warranty. Passenger side cracked somewhere in the 50-60,000 m I'm guessing. Fixed the two cracks in it with some manifold mix-it-up stuff from an auto parts store. I got 84,000 now and I think both sides are cracked and leaking again.

Seems like the driverside cracks first mostly on the jk's. Passenger side will eventually do it too though.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:30 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine was replaced at 37,525 miles.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine cracked at about 36,000 miles. I'm at 39,000 now
Old 10-10-2011, 07:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Same problem the TJ's had, just carried over to the 3.8's in the JK's. Hopefully they fixed their budget cutting problems with the Pentastar. Fingers crossed.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:24 PM
JK Freak

Mine went out right around 50k
Old 10-10-2011, 08:39 PM
JK Freak

Just found out my driver's side manifold went at 87k.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the driver side replaced twice now. Get this, the first time it went in, it took them a week to "locate" the problem. I told them to stick their heads under the hood for a minute and see how long they last. They fixed it with 100$ deductible, and then informed me that a bolt on the passenger side was sheared, but wasn't covered. The manifold was, but the bolt that secured it wasnt. They wanted 300$ more. I called Chrysler and they replaced the bolt for free. Go figure.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:05 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mine was about 42k when it was replaced.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:22 AM
JK Junkie

Long tubes are better than short tubes, the idea behind headers is to get the exhaust to flow smoothly out and long tubes have more room to straighten the air out. The price is a huge downfall for doing headers and I will recommend "stage 8 hardware" if you go that route. Not to be confused with grade 8 hardware, the stage 8 hardware has a locking mechanism to prevent the bolts from coming loose and causing an exhaust leak. I failed to use the proper product and had exhaust leaks with 2 different brands of headers on 2 different vehicles installed by 2 different reputable companies.
Long tubes aren't better than short tubes, they just perform better for a given rpm range. Tube diameter and length will determine peak torque rpm, and long tubes move the torque band to a lower rpm range. Most shorty headers are variable tube length which spread the torque band out over a longer rpm range. Many shorty headers are designed for fitment as opposed to peak performance and while they will perform better than stock exhaust manifolds, they are far from perfect.

On getting any kind of headers, always get them third party coated. OEM coatings generally suck no matter who the company is. My preference is for Black Satin although my local powder coater is recommending a two stage approach using Black Satin, followed by Cermakrome for inhibiting rust on steel headers. Both of these coatings provide a thermal barrier keeping the heat inside the exhaust and out of the engine bay. The result is better exhaust velocity and cooler air through the intake. It also will keep your plug wires safe.

BTW, no way I would pay to have a stock manifold replaced and I would definitely run with headers.

Last edited by JPop; 10-11-2011 at 03:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Cracked Header