Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Cracked Header

Old 10-10-2011, 09:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracked Header

Well I've recently noticed a weird noise coming from the left side of my engine whenever I started it. So I took it in to the exhaust shop and they confirmed it - cracked left header. So now here is my question. What route should i go?

I went to the Chrysler/Dodge Lithia dealer here in Missoula and as I presumed it was a circus. I went to the parts manager and he told me to go over to over to service which for some reason said I needed to go talk to a sales manager who got mad because he wasn't sure why I was sent to talk to him so I just left that shit show and bailed. Anyways they want roughly $400 to fix it.

I know I could go this route and get it fixed or I could go with a set of headers from Ripp or I've read a couple threads about the Gibson headers What's the difference between short tube vs. long tube? Is their one better than another? Am I wasting my money going with headers as I've read they can get hot and start doing my harm than good?

Whichever route I go I need to get this fixed soon so any reply will be taken gratefully
Old 10-10-2011, 11:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Check your emissions warranty. It may be covered.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:12 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by SilverBolt
Check your emissions warranty. It may be covered.
I had them check it out and all I have left is the emissions warranty and they said "that only covers your cats"
Old 10-10-2011, 12:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BStelling

I had them check it out and all I have left is the emissions warranty and they said "that only covers your cats"
My driver side header cracked and they warranteed it with no problems. Emissions covered it to 8yrs 80k miles. Try a different dealer if they won't
Old 10-10-2011, 12:50 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mhaines
My driver side header cracked and they warranteed it with no problems. Emissions covered it to 8yrs 80k miles. Try a different dealer if they won't
Hmm that's interesting. Thanks for the info!
Old 10-10-2011, 01:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Manifolds are not covered under the emissions warranty. They are covered by the lifetime powertrain warranty if you have it.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:36 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by highoctane
Manifolds are not covered under the emissions warranty. They are covered by the lifetime powertrain warranty if you have it.
I figured it wouldn't be covered. No worries on that part just not sure which route to take now.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Some headers will cause higher under hood temperatures too...and jk's already run hot
Old 10-10-2011, 04:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by highoctane
Maybe that's why they did mine then, I have the lifetime. Service manager just shrugged it off as emissions, said it was the 8/80, either way I'm glad he covered it.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:14 PM
JK Junkie

The emissions warranty covered mine (left side exhaust manifold).

Last edited by Moochie; 10-10-2011 at 04:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Cracked Header