Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Cowl Air Intake

Old 07-04-2011, 06:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cowl Air Intake

Has anybody out there used the cowl as an air intake (and I'm not talking about a snorkel mod!). Spectre makes an air intake for a TJ that drills through the firewall and collects air through the cowl. Has anybody seen this/done this for the jeep? In my simple opinion, this seems like it would make for a true cold air intake...
Old 07-04-2011, 07:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's more of a snorkel...?
I'm talking about something that uses the existing cowl vent. Something that is evident from the outside. Lookup the spectre air intake I referenced above. Quadratec has it.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:54 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like dirtman said you can run the snorkel mod he came up with (my red JKU above) and it also serves as a CAI. I used dirtmans design and special fabricated plate to do the mod, but altered the overall mod a bit. I dont run a factory airbox like dirtman does, I went with an in-line airbox from spectre.

As dirtman stated, you can stop the pipe so it sits just under the cowl, but with the pic he shows I will tell you, there is not much room to cap it off with anything when you put the upper cowl piece back on. I guess you could shorten that pipe a bit and cap it, but once again, trying to fit something will be tough..

Dirtman has an awesome design and I for one am extremely happy with it. In your case, it's going to be tough to build what your intending to do do. As he already stated, there is NOT much room in that area of the JK's....

Quick Reply: Cowl Air Intake