Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Couple of winch quetions

Old 06-19-2010, 04:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of winch quetions

Just got an XRC8 winch with sythetic line from 4 Wheel Parts and had a few questions for the experts here.

(1) Any tips or suggestion on running the positive and negative cables to the battery? I came in under the grill just below the front turn signal and fed the lines up and along the side of the fender. I assume this is fine but don't want to have issues later that's why Im asking.
(2) In the manual it says make sure you apply 500 pounds of force against the line while spooling it. I take it this is for wire rope and not the synthetic rope. Will borrowing a fat neighbor on a skateboard work and just wenching her in be sufficient?
(3) Any good websites out there for winching 101? I'd like brush up on this stuff before I actually need to use it.
(4) In free spool, I take it you just grab the hood and pull away and no need to use the hand held controller which also works in free spool mode (I assumed it wouldn't).

That's in advance for your help!
Old 06-19-2010, 04:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. were you run the wires, as long as they stay clear of rubbing your good.
2. a fat neighbor works well.
3. Your on the best website for advise.
4. free spool means just that.

good luck.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Synthetic needs to be spooled differently than wire.

For wire I attach the winch line to dumpster and pull my JK in with the emergency break applied. This keeps the wire from binding while winching.

I have heard that with synthetic you have to criss-cross the layers of line to prevent binding.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:22 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i also agree with the other post make sure to use a wire loom where you think a rubbing issue might happen if you look at my album i have some pictures with the way i ran mine also i put a kill switch in-line just incase something did rub and short out

I also heard that with synthetic you should criss-cross the layers of line to prevent binding / friction ware and it sounds accurate but i have tryd to get an answer from warn but no reply i should recontact them or if someone can verify that would be great.. hope that helps
Old 06-20-2010, 05:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RRCP08JK
Will borrowing a fat neighbor on a skateboard work and just wenching her in be sufficient?

That's the funniest thing i've heard in a long while.

Quick Reply: Couple of winch quetions