Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Couple ?s on gears and axles

Old 04-08-2012, 04:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple ?s on gears and axles

Ok here is my dilemma. I'm about to have my 08 rubi 2 door done with a 3.5 long arm and 37" tires. I know I will need to regear pretty quick but not sure how far to go I have the six speed but not sure to go to 4.88 or 5.13. I need some more advice from those who have one or the other and how it drives

2nd I have heard talk about sleeving the axles on the 44's. Is this true or will I be fine without them and also do I need to do both front and rear. I'm still learning on these jks as I came from owning a yj

Advice will be well appreciated
Old 04-08-2012, 04:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Bump.......
Old 04-08-2012, 06:31 PM
JK Freak

I think for your situation it pretty much comes down to personal preference, driving terrain and driving style. If you live in a very hilly, mountainous area you will like the 5.13. If you like driving at 75+ mph you will like 4.88 as the 5.13 will be a bit high at that speed. If you never go over 65 the 5.13 would be good.

Lots to think about and I don't have the answer and no one will. Best thing to do would be to drive one and see what you think. But it's not easy finding someone local with exactly what your looking for. I will be going to 37s someday with the same set up as you and I still don't know what gears I want.

Sleeves needed? No. good idea? Yes. Gussets needed? Yes.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dinojeep
I think for your situation it pretty much comes down to personal preference, driving terrain and driving style. If you live in a very hilly, mountainous area you will like the 5.13. If you like driving at 75+ mph you will like 4.88 as the 5.13 will be a bit high at that speed. If you never go over 65 the 5.13 would be good.

Lots to think about and I don't have the answer and no one will. Best thing to do would be to drive one and see what you think. But it's not easy finding someone local with exactly what your looking for. I will be going to 37s someday with the same set up as you and I still don't know what gears I want.

Sleeves needed? No. good idea? Yes. Gussets needed? Yes.
Cool thanks for the info I live in west Texas so it's pretty flat but I drive hwy speeds 75% of the time. Got to stay out of the way of the oilfield traffic. Too many decisions but this helps probably gonna go with 488 wish I could find someone round here but jeeps aren't to popular
Old 04-09-2012, 06:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Bump... Need some more info from those who have done these upgrades
Old 04-09-2012, 06:44 AM
JK Super Freak

I'm running 37's and 5:13 gears 6spd manual with sleeves and gussets. Say goodbye to your gas mileage! Averaging 70 mph with cc on over an 1100 mile trip I got 12.7 mpg
4:88 would run lower rpm at highway speeds, but a little faster crawling. Sleeves and gussets are good insurance against smiley face axles. If you wheel your jeep, you ought to consider upgrading your axle shafts as well.
It gets expensive to look good!
Old 04-09-2012, 07:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nwapache
I'm running 37's and 5:13 gears 6spd manual with sleeves and gussets. Say goodbye to your gas mileage! Averaging 70 mph with cc on over an 1100 mile trip I got 12.7 mpg
4:88 would run lower rpm at highway speeds, but a little faster crawling. Sleeves and gussets are good insurance against smiley face axles. If you wheel your jeep, you ought to consider upgrading your axle shafts as well.
It gets expensive to look good!
So if I understand this right if I crawl more than I drive on hwy go with 5:13 but if it's more hwy than crawl stick with 4:88. I'll probably do the sleeves and gussets just to be safe than sorry. I just want to do things right the first time. Also I'll be putting a flashpaq on as well.

Quick Reply: Couple ?s on gears and axles