Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

A couple problems on my last long road trip - thoughts?

Old 06-06-2011, 04:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A couple problems on my last long road trip - thoughts?

So I recently put Toyo 35s on stock wheels with my stock 3.73s. Had no problems driving around town.

Took a 6.5 hr highway road trip out to PA to visit some family. No problems on the way out. Once there, did some moderate off roading in the mountains - rocks, mud, ditches, hills, etc. I think I grinded some gears between high and low 4WD a few times. On the way home, I had speed control on 75 going up hill and I think my tranny slipped, total deceleration and the CC turned off, but worked afterwards. Then I stopped to get gas after about 5 hrs and my MPG has been reading 17-18 when it was always 13-14 before with the 35s - weird. Also, it seems my gas gauge is stuck at half tank. ALSO, my speed according to my gps is about 5mph faster then what my speedometer reads.

Just some challenges of running 3.73s with 35s? Thoughts?
Old 06-06-2011, 05:52 AM
JK Freak

Did you adjusted/recalibrated your speedo for the Bigger Tires ?
Old 06-06-2011, 06:51 AM
Former Member

You need to regear to atleast 4.88's. Not to mention a toyo is a heavy tire
Old 06-06-2011, 07:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Full-Traction Suspension
You need to regear to atleast 4.88's. Not to mention a toyo is a heavy tire
Right, I'm well aware of the regearing issue and the extra heavy weight of the Toyos. I just wanted to see if these were common issues directly caused by the 3.73s or indicators of something else...

Up until this trip, I'd had no issue with the 3.73s driving around town, light off roading, etc.

Quick Reply: A couple problems on my last long road trip - thoughts?