Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Could welding gussets bend/distort an axle tube?

Old 10-17-2009, 06:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get yourself a set of good aftermarket axels and forget all your troubles.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you put enough heat into those forgings it is DISTINCTLY possible to ovalize the ball joint holes. If they were welded on hot enough with the ball joints installed, they may have just melted or distorted the race of the ball joint.

As for pulling the housing, I doubt it would bend it. Certainly possible, but it would take some serious heat.

The only way to tell for sure is to put the housing in a jig. Not something we can easily do, obviously. The other tell tales are leaking from the axle seals, cracks around the rosette welds...

Try something stupid and rotate your tires side to side.....

Last edited by Sethmark; 10-17-2009 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:37 PM
JK Super Freak

I spent about 2 hours welding mine on (I did cool everything off as much as possible), I have 35s, rock crawl about every other month, its been 10k miles and I have had no problems. I check my balljoints atevery oil change & have had no front end issues yet.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sethmark
If you put enough heat into those forgings it is DISTINCTLY possible to ovalize the ball joint holes. If they were welded on hot enough with the ball joints installed, they may have just melted or distorted the race of the ball joint.

As for pulling the housing, I doubt it would bend it. Certainly possible, but it would take some serious heat.

The only way to tell for sure is to put the housing in a jig. Not something we can easily do, obviously. The other tell tales are leaking from the axle seals, cracks around the rosette welds...

Try something stupid and rotate your tires side to side.....
Thanks. I have rotated tires to the point of dizzyness...

Leaning more towards the ball joints/groove being warped during welding.

Quick Reply: Could welding gussets bend/distort an axle tube?