Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Could this be my DW Problem?

Old 01-19-2011, 09:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could this be my DW Problem?

Well I was fortunate enough to meet Pink_Toes on the forum that lives close to where my wife could take our Jeep for him to look at it and see if he could find what was causing our problem. He first centered the steering for my wife and then made sure all the bolts we tightened to specs. He took off the Track bar to inspect the bolt hole to see if it was wallowed out and this is what he found. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110119_113849 - Copy.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	119457
Old 01-19-2011, 09:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would say that is likely your problem. An easy cure is to weld some washers, grade 8 I believe over both holes to strength and "re-round" the holes. Easy enough to do if you can weld! Good luck with that! DW sucks seriously.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well I have a mig welder and could do it myself but I am currently in Afghanistan
Old 01-19-2011, 10:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jrylb73
Well I have a mig welder and could do it myself but I am currently in Afghanistan
Damn! Thanks for serving! If she wasn't 2000 miles from me I would take care of it for her for nothing!
Old 01-19-2011, 10:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a minor job even if she had to pay some one to do it... Even at 45 dollars an hour... Any welder who can call themselves a welder not a back yard tinkerer could weld that up in 10 minutes... I sure we could net work a fix.... What city is the jk in?
Old 01-19-2011, 10:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well as I type this she has it at a Fab shop that builds jeeps from the ground up, so hopefully they can get her taking care of. I will post the out come when I find out.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:39 AM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep, wallowed out welcome to the club! In our case it went so long and was masked for a long time by out dual steering stablizer...that thing did a lot of damage so get it fixed right away and still check out your other components for damage as well.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well the Fab shop welded a new piece on the frame and put it all back together and she took it out and had it up to 70 and no DW. I hope this fixed the problem.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:48 AM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jrylb73
Well the Fab shop welded a new piece on the frame and put it all back together and she took it out and had it up to 70 and no DW. I hope this fixed the problem.
I would still definitely go through your other components and make sure they haven't been damaged as well. We started out with the wallowed TB bracket and then slow but surely found out other components met a premature failure all caused by the wallowed TB can't really say which came first but it would give you some piece of mind to know other components are okay.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:53 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I thought I read in one of your previous threads that you specifically had the shop pull the trackbar off and check the holes for this? Did they miss it? Or just not bother to check...

Quick Reply: Could this be my DW Problem?