Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Costco says minimum 8.5" width rim required...

Old 04-07-2008, 10:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying from Costco

They are very cautious about selling anything but the original size. I had 33's put on my Jeep there and they were very reluctant to do it. They do offer very good service and cheaper prices than anyplace I looked. You just have to work with them a little and not expect them to know everything you need (this is a very insignificant part of the business for them).
Old 04-07-2008, 03:25 PM
JK Freak

I had a similar experience. Went with the 17x9s on 35x12.5x17s. I was told that 8.5 was minimum. And, that I would have premature wear if I went with an 8", so I did go with the 9. I do mostly on-road driving.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey Rebel Heart, which wheels/tires are you running?
Old 04-07-2008, 04:21 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by VA_Rubi-Red
Thanks for the quick response nukeman. Yeah, he showed me his book of specs which listed the 8.5" minimum, and said he could not mount the tires on anything smaller because it's "not safe".

Is it indeed unsafe to drive with 33x12.5x17 tires on 17 x 8 rims at speed on the highway? I realize the narrower rims can enhance performance offroad, which I will do at every opportunity, but the Rubi will be my DD as well.
I have run 12.5" tires on 7.5 and 8" wide rims for years. Works fine.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default I am a tire technician

so i do tires (medium truck and heavy equipment) but still do light truck and passenger tires too.

PLEASE DON T GIVE THEM A HARD TIME! they are only doing there job and they are not idiots. most shops will not do it (rim width or tire size) because it is a insurance issue. we have a book at work and it lists every vehicle since the late 70's of what tires came on vehicles and what tires were optional. now we don t go by this stuff but alot of shops do. in all seriousness in PA they can fail your vehicle for state inspection for not have the right size tire or weight capacity on. do most shops look at this no, but it is suppost to be part of the inspection. it is more for the yahoos out there taking there LT tires off the pickup and putting on p rated tires (alot cheaper) and then hooking there 20 ft camper on the back, not like what we jeepers do.

you should be five on the 8" rims. you will have to adjust pressure accordingly for tire wear, and may never get around wearing the centers out first.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

I understand what they are saying if they have a book and they have been told to go with it. The corporate store guys don't want every tire jockey to rewrite the rules anyway. What I find amazing is that changing to a bigger "size" as a whole has a much more profound effect than wheel width, so really from a liability standpoint that would be even more of an issue. It also amazes me that they will go out of parameters on overall diameter, but will not look at manufacture specs for the actual tire when they do it. You are asking for a data interpretation from a system that was intentionally designed to avoid personal interpretation.

Glad to hear that you are willing to spend a few more bucks and "upgrade" your service to someone that knows these vehicles better.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:06 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by greasemonkey85
so i do tires (medium truck and heavy equipment) but still do light truck and passenger tires too.

PLEASE DON T GIVE THEM A HARD TIME! they are only doing there job and they are not idiots. most shops will not do it (rim width or tire size) because it is a insurance issue. we have a book at work and it lists every vehicle since the late 70's of what tires came on vehicles and what tires were optional. now we don t go by this stuff but alot of shops do. in all seriousness in PA they can fail your vehicle for state inspection for not have the right size tire or weight capacity on. do most shops look at this no, but it is suppost to be part of the inspection. it is more for the yahoos out there taking there LT tires off the pickup and putting on p rated tires (alot cheaper) and then hooking there 20 ft camper on the back, not like what we jeepers do.

you should be five on the 8" rims. you will have to adjust pressure accordingly for tire wear, and may never get around wearing the centers out first.

Ok, maybe my "idiots" comment in my original post was a little harsh... lol I shouldve also included in my first post that they not only initially refused to mount them, but they also wanted to give me a refund. I had already bought the tires at a 4x4 show for 30% off and free mounting. I just had to pick them up at a sears store. I couldnt believe they wouldnt even give them to me to be mounted by another shop. I understand where they are coming from as far as liability goes, but sometimes I think things are taken way too far.

Quick Reply: Costco says minimum 8.5" width rim required...