Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Corporate 14 for JKs??

Old 09-13-2011, 07:20 AM
rws
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
River Raider makes a front 60 / rear 14 conversion kit. Might be worth a look.
Great call - Just talked to them and they do have a kit with everything needed to convert a C14 to a JK application..
Old 09-13-2011, 07:26 AM
rws
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jeff76
The c14 has a 10.5" ring gear, same as a d70 I beleive. The c14 is stronger than a d60 no doubt. I beat on my 60 with right at 500hp from a ls motor and 44" tires. Never broke it once.

I'm not sure about all the electric gizmos u would need to make it work. Someone who does will chime in hopefully. I prefer to get rid of as much of that stuff as I can and still have the jeep run.
Do you think you're built D60 could handle the same power on a vehicle almost a ton heavier? I would think that'd put alot more rotational torque on the axles... You have any pics of your YJ? Sounds like a beast..

Originally Posted by l'jeeper
FF 14b"s are bullet proof. I have broken several d60 Chromolly 35 spline fronts in my YJ and never a problem with the 14b with stock shafts. Thats with 400 hp, 42'S and low crawl ratio.

Only problem is ground clearance, even with 42"s.
Did you shaved the 14? We just shaved one down almost an inch and got a bunch more clearance.. Post up pics of that YJ!!

Originally Posted by TexsDream77
Running the 99-03 SuperDuty Super 60 in the front of my JK. Completely ABS/ESP compliant with a little help from Currie. Very simple really. Just source the front unitized wheel bearings and stub shafts from Currie and it all bolts right on. Uses stock JK speed sensor installed backwards.

I'm building a 14 bolt for the rear. Not a difficult problem for the abs/esp. Just need a tone ring and mount for a speed sensor. The rest is easy.

The 14 bolt being the most bomb proof 1 ton axle isn't the ring gear size but rather the 3 bearings on the pinion gear instead of 2 *it supports both sides of the pinion gear so there is NO FLEX* . The only other axle I know to do that is the Ford 9". Which is why the Ford 9" is a popular axle. Also easier to build because of the 3rd member. Either axle should be fine for your application.
Now that's really interesting and a huge pro over the Dana's imo.. Would it be similar to change out the gears and fix problems on a 14 just like a 9"? You can get everything you need for the C14 from River Raider for the conversion, just spoke to them..
Old 09-13-2011, 07:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone that says a 14 bolt will match the clearance of a proper D60 (non junkyard), hasn't done their research. Also, a properly built D60 will strong enough to meet most application need.

If you are building a JKU and putting a 600hp V-8 in, you may need more however. The trade off is that you will lose 2" or more of clearance but dragging your rear diff isn't too big of a problem as it won't hurt anything (unless you shave it and leave less metal protecting the internals and housing's structural integrity).

I guess it depends on the application.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

A 9" ford the entire carrier, and R&P are removed from the front of the housing. There is no rear cover.

A 14b ff the pinion gear and a bolt on support are removed from front. The pinion gear is also supported on the inside by a third bearing. The carrier and ring gear are removed from the rear. There is a rear cover.

Google 14 bolt ff and you will get all kinds of info.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:10 AM
rws
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BKGM Jeepers
Anyone that says a 14 bolt will match the clearance of a proper D60 (non junkyard), hasn't done their research. Also, a properly built D60 will strong enough to meet most application need.

If you are building a JKU and putting a 600hp V-8 in, you may need more however. The trade off is that you will lose 2" or more of clearance but dragging your rear diff isn't too big of a problem as it won't hurt anything (unless you shave it and leave less metal protecting the internals and housing's structural integrity).

I guess it depends on the application.
It will be in the 500-600hp area, more if I can get it there!!! By needing more, do you mean a C14 may not be strong enough for that much grunt?

Originally Posted by MikeRM
A 9" ford the entire carrier, and R&P are removed from the front of the housing. There is no rear cover.

A 14b ff the pinion gear and a bolt on support are removed from front. The pinion gear is also supported on the inside by a third bearing. The carrier and ring gear are removed from the rear. There is a rear cover.

Google 14 bolt ff and you will get all kinds of info.
Gotcha!!! Great info in this thread!!!
Old 09-13-2011, 08:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

The biggest question is are you going to make it into a watchband build thread? And if so are you going to announce it on this thread? If so ill subscribe and decide if I want to do something similar.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:46 AM
rws
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sarathesahara
The biggest question is are you going to make it into a watchband build thread? And if so are you going to announce it on this thread? If so ill subscribe and decide if I want to do something similar.
Probably not as it will be a drawn out process that'll take all winter between suspension upgrades and building the axles, if that's the route I'm going to go.. Still want to look into a Dynatrac D70/80 rear axle as well..
Old 09-13-2011, 03:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rws

Do you think you're built D60 could handle the same power on a vehicle almost a ton heavier? I would think that'd put alot more rotational torque on the axles... You have any pics of your YJ? Sounds like a beast..

Did you shaved the 14? We just shaved one down almost an inch and got a bunch more clearance.. Post up pics of that YJ!!

Now that's really interesting and a huge pro over the Dana's imo.. Would it be similar to change out the gears and fix problems on a 14 just like a 9"? You can get everything you need for the C14 from River Raider for the conversion, just spoke to them..
Here are a few pics off my yj. Id go with the 14 bolt if your worried about breaking a 60. Weight shouldn't have much to do with breakage in a full float axle. Tire size, hp, and driving style are what mainly snaps axles.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1262578515.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	210311   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1815564232.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	210315  
Old 09-13-2011, 08:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by BKGM Jeepers
(unless you shave it and leave less metal protecting the internals and housing's structural integrity).

Shaving done correctly with proper plating will not damage the housings integrity. We've cut the bottoms out of the housings before and plated them with no problems. I've also seen guys cut them so far up that they shave off the ring gear.

Anywho... I decided that the 14 is the way to go for me. I plan on running this V-6 w/ an Atlas 4 speed and 40" + tires in New England rocks (JEEP SIZED BOLDERS).
Old 09-14-2011, 07:05 PM
rws
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jeff76

Here are a few pics off my yj. Id go with the 14 bolt if your worried about breaking a 60. Weight shouldn't have much to do with breakage in a full float axle. Tire size, hp, and driving style are what mainly snaps axles.
Love that YJ, still have it?

Quick Reply: Corporate 14 for JKs??