Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Cooper STT opinions

Old 03-22-2008, 05:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooper STT opinions

I would like to know how these tires preform on and off road (road noise, wear, traction in mud, rock, snow etc.) I am pretty much set on these tires 33x12.50R16 I like the aggressive look but just need feedback first hand how they really are not something from Jp magazine. If anyone has pictures with these on their Jeep that would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

2007 Flame Red 4dr X
Mirror Mod
Jeep tread mats
Rugged Ridge Step Sides
Coverking seat covers
Gille mod
Old 03-22-2008, 06:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

i have a set and they are great. i have always been a bfg guy. we got 2 feet of snow a couple weekends ago and they were the best tire i have ever had in the snow. i was pulling people out left and right. and im stock except for the the 2657516 stt. also i barley had to put into 4wd. when i went to a 8 in rim they did get louder though. but not bad. my wife even said it wasnt bad. so i would say go get them.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:02 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well....I went with a 33.x12.5R17 STT for my wife's JK. I am a Toyo OC M/T guy and have a set on my CTD RAM and I have been greatly impressed as they are a great wearing tire, well built tire (Zero weight on all 4 rims to balance wheel on my CTD) and very quiet on the highway and look great!!!....

However, the drawback for me about the Toyo M/T being placed on my wifes JK were:

1) The same tire size in the Toyo was 11lbs/tire heavier than the STT, that adds another 55/lbs to haul around over the STT for the 202HP 3.8L V6 which struggles at times on the highway for passing.
2) Toyo was E load (heavier ply side wall) vs D load on the STT and may create a stiffer ride.
3) Price - Cooper STT was $80/tire cheaper than the Toyo OC M/T.

The only unknown for me is tire wear...but I have talked to a few JK forum members and they have been very happy with the wear so far.

I will be getting the STT's installed next week sometime as spring looks like it has arrived.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:06 PM
JK Freak

I am between the bfg m2s and the Cooper STTs? What are the pros and cons of each. I was looking really hard at the Toyos but I couldn't get around the weight factor, either. I have heard good things about the Coopers and the BFGs.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Are the Toyo 's very heavy?
Old 03-22-2008, 09:01 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nightbat
Are the Toyo 's very heavy?
Yes, a 33X12.5R17 Toyo OC M/T is 73lbs according to Toyo's book.

same size Cooper STT from my tire dealer stated 62lbs.

From what I recall the Bridgestone Dueller A/T stock my Sahara 255/70R18 tire weight is 51lbs.

So, there is a difference in weight in the tires.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had some 35's on a F-150. They work well on the road. I only noticed a slight choppiness on cold mornings before they warmed up. My Ford had a steering wheel nibble at about 65 MPH, but i think it was more due to the crappy IFS. I added pics to the gallery link below if you are interested.

Quick Reply: Cooper STT opinions