Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Convince me to get a locker

Old 01-27-2013, 06:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by justinstoffregen
What is whipping a shitty? Wtf is going on in this thread?
Whipping a shitty=a u turn
Old 01-28-2013, 11:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

here it is

Click image for larger version

Name:	Whip.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	415302
Old 01-28-2013, 11:47 AM
JK Newbie

I have a stock Rubi and have never, ever used the lockers for what they are intended. I turn them on once a month to be sure they still work. I don't know that I will ever use them.....

.....But I would still rather have them than not.

That's why I bought a Rubi. I know lockers can be upgraded for less money than buying them factory but I would have never justified the expense and thusly, never had lockers.

Is it worth it to spend $1k on lockers? I wouldn't but then it would drive me nuts not having them.

How's that for an answer?
Old 01-28-2013, 01:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

They are used to go over median strips in mall parking lots. :-/
Old 01-29-2013, 01:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default lockers

Originally Posted by skier00_00
If you were to lock one axle which one would give you a better advantage? Or is this a poor idea?
I would do the rear first also when you need lockers you are usualy climbing over something {in a uphill direction} that shifts a lot of weight on to the rear axel so that is were you need the most traction, this is why I recomend a selectable locker {air, electrical, or mech like a ox locker} having youre locker engaging & disengaging on its own is very hard on axle shafts. I have had to pull more than one guy out that had automatic lockers that would not stay locked. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:53 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RDH475

I would do the rear first also when you need lockers you are usualy climbing over something {in a uphill direction} that shifts a lot of weight on to the rear axel so that is were you need the most traction, this is why I recomend a selectable locker {air, electrical, or mech like a ox locker} having youre locker engaging & disengaging on its own is very hard on axle shafts. I have had to pull more than one guy out that had automatic lockers that would not stay locked. Just my 2 cents worth.
Thanks for the information. I think it's the route I'm going to take
Old 01-30-2013, 03:38 AM
JK Newbie

I watched a Jeep in Moab with lockers who thought he did not need them, spin his rear wheel, and threw a large rock into the windshield of a Jeep behind him. He finally used his lockers to continue on. Needless to say the following Jeep was not too happy!
Old 01-30-2013, 03:52 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dbmoorejr
So if the tires spin then traction control must be of right. The thing will do a donut so how can it be working ?
No, not necessarily. The traction control setup is made up of several different systems combineed. Pushing/holding the button only shuts a select few of them off. For instance, when the factory ESP button is pressed it will allow the tires to spin freely, but when the jeep starts sliding sideways (like when WHIPPING A SHITTY) the ESP will kick in which locks the brakes up on certain tires to prevent the skid.

Originally Posted by justinstoffregen
What is whipping a shitty? Wtf is going on in this thread?
How about "doing a cheerio", or "spinning a doughnut"? I dont know what else to call it... spinning the rear tires of a vehicle while swinging the vehicle in circles. A SHITTY.

Last edited by olyelr; 01-30-2013 at 04:11 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:42 PM
JK Newbie

I dont have a locker in my jeep but I do have one in my duramax for truck pulls and it makes huge a difference in a pull by a bunch. Open diffs suck!!! locker all the way

Quick Reply: Convince me to get a locker