Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Convince me to get a locker

Old 01-14-2013, 08:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well...the pros and cons are simple really, better traction off road, some handling quirks on road if it isn't a selectable locker. Selectables give you the best of both worlds.
I re-geared my JK and kept the factory limited slip. When that wore out and I had to rebuild the rear I didn't want to throw in another junk factory L/S so I went with a grizzly locker. Ideally I would of loved to of put in an ARB airlocker but it wasn't in the cards at the time. So I went with the grizzly which was comparable in price to the factory L/S but basically bullet proof.
Now my opinion. It works awesome. It does truly function as it is supposed to and gives you an advantage if you are offroad. You can lift a rear tire and still pull through without having to spin at a higher RPM to engage a limited slip or losing traction all together like with an open diff.
On the negative side, I have a manual trans, so the diff is noisy. You do hear it engage and disengage frequently. Now from what I understand it is much quieter with an auto trans because there is always tension in the drivetrain. But there are pros and cons there as well. While the manual may be noisy you can disengage it when needed such as while manuevering in tight parking lots which with an auto will cause some chirping and slippage.
To me, if you aren't offroading don't bother with a locker. If you are then consider it. Personally if you have the money to put a selectable in then do it, you get best of both worlds. If not then either you stay with your factory L/S which will fail eventually or go with a mechanical.

Hope this helps. Just so you know. My JK is a daily driver and any of the noise the locker makes while noticable you do gets used to it and eventually you don't even notice it.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are my observation on lockers. I wheel about once a month. Mostly rock climbing. I go with my club that has some very experienced wheelers unlike myself who is still somewhat new to the scene. My Rubi goes over things that others can't without winching. Sometimes driver skill can help but there have been many obstacles where people need a tug to get up if they don't have lockers.

One of the biggest things I've noticed about lockers vs non-lockers is that lockers "appear" to make wheeling safer in most conditions (not always but most of the time). Lockers allow you to stay on your intended line more often than not and let's you crawl over things where others need to "bounce" over them. Gunning it and boucning over an obstacle can lead to more breakage and possible other bad things if you happen to slide off your intended line.

I usually run without my lockers on but if I am coming to an obstacle that I know is a bit more technical, I will engage them to be safer. Yes, there are times when lockers and some bouncing ar required (so no getting compltely away from the breakage or danger) but those circumstances are usually the ones where rigs without lockers have no chance without help.

And to add to why getting them is a good idea, if you do something like an ARB setup, you get on board air which is nice to have when airing up or (if you do the setup right) run air tools/small welders for repairs on/off the trail. So you get lockers and accessories
Old 01-14-2013, 08:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Bonedoc
Well...the pros and cons are simple really, better traction off road, some handling quirks on road if it isn't a selectable locker. Selectables give you the best of both worlds.
I re-geared my JK and kept the factory limited slip. When that wore out and I had to rebuild the rear I didn't want to throw in another junk factory L/S so I went with a grizzly locker. Ideally I would of loved to of put in an ARB airlocker but it wasn't in the cards at the time. So I went with the grizzly which was comparable in price to the factory L/S but basically bullet proof.
Now my opinion. It works awesome. It does truly function as it is supposed to and gives you an advantage if you are offroad. You can lift a rear tire and still pull through without having to spin at a higher RPM to engage a limited slip or losing traction all together like with an open diff.
On the negative side, I have a manual trans, so the diff is noisy. You do hear it engage and disengage frequently. Now from what I understand it is much quieter with an auto trans because there is always tension in the drivetrain. But there are pros and cons there as well. While the manual may be noisy you can disengage it when needed such as while manuevering in tight parking lots which with an auto will cause some chirping and slippage.
To me, if you aren't offroading don't bother with a locker. If you are then consider it. Personally if you have the money to put a selectable in then do it, you get best of both worlds. If not then either you stay with your factory L/S which will fail eventually or go with a mechanical.

Hope this helps. Just so you know. My JK is a daily driver and any of the noise the locker makes while noticable you do gets used to it and eventually you don't even notice it.
how does it handle on the highway? (specifically when you have to shift, like on an up hill or to get up to highway speeds) my jeep is setup similar to yours, and im looking at doing the exact same switch (factory lsd to grizzly). any regrets at all with it?
Old 01-14-2013, 09:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jersey_Devil
The only thing I absolutely HATE about my factory lockers is that they can ONLY be used in LOW 4WD :-(

Don't get it twisted.... Those lockers are a Godsend in the Jersey mud! That's why I was cruising around in the mud having fun while he was stuck lol
SUPERCHIPS FLASHPAQ fixes this, i think. it allows for any combination. 2wd lockers, 4 wd high lockers, etc. check out some threads.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:15 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by justinstoffregen

The stock rubicon electronic locker is a real locker, not a "wanna-be-thing", and should not be confused with ESP. Lockers don't work by applying breaks like esp does. They ensure that the power from your 4wd is distributed evenly between the tires that are connected to the axle that is locked. Otherwise, all your 4wd power takes the path of least resistance and goes to the tire that is up in the air or spinning in the mud, which pretty much renders 4wd worthless at that moment.
I'm not referring to the rubicon locker I'm referring to the bld that's in every jeep jk but what I was saying that in theory but it doesn't truly do much
Old 01-14-2013, 10:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

If someone has to convince you, you probably do not need a locker...
Old 01-14-2013, 11:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Tread lightly becomes more of a reality.

Without lockers, as mentioned above, you'll spin tires more and have to "bump" over obstacles.

on a side note, a 4:1 t-case also helps you tread more lightly.

Many times I wouldn't want to get out and pull the winch cable. Also, winching is more dangerous than simply using your lockers.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:42 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by triplethreat5188
your convincing me slightly I mean I know that jeeps have that electronic "locker" wanna be thing where if one tire is off like ESP it put the brake on that tire to allow some power to the other but if that truly works idk. What I do like is the idea I know I'm locked and it's going to work
That is the traction control function. I'm not sure what year your jeep is or when the last time you had it in 4-low, but traction control is turned off in 4-low. So, you don't get the functionality, not that it would be that helpful in a situation that you actually need a locker.

That being said, I run open diffs and wish I had lockers. But, I also don't have the extra $1k lying around to afford one. If you are doing some serious off roading, you will see the advantage, if not then don't. You can get through quite a few trails without a locker by using a winch and tow straps. But, I wouldn't call that approach an equivalent substitution.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by sneck
how does it handle on the highway? (specifically when you have to shift, like on an up hill or to get up to highway speeds) my jeep is setup similar to yours, and im looking at doing the exact same switch (factory lsd to grizzly). any regrets at all with it?
It handles fine on the highway, no problems with shifting. I've heard people talk about erratic handling in rain or snow but truthfully I haven't noticed anything other than in really slick snow ice if you turn to fast and front tires loose traction it will want to push straight. That only seemed to be an issue if going faster than I should of been...lol. The other thing I did was make sure the rear tires have the same pressure in them, because it will pull to one side or the other on hard acceleration if the pressure is really off from side to side.
I don't regret it, it is noisy sometimes and it will unlock sometimes at the most awkward of times and it feels almost like something snapped. I've found that you get used to it and it becomes just one of those things you do when you drive your jeep. The offroad traction is nice though...
Old 01-14-2013, 11:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just need to say that bld (brake lock diff) is the part of esp that is ACTIVE in 4 low... It is not as good as a locker, but it helps...

Quick Reply: Convince me to get a locker