Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Convince me to get a locker

Old 01-14-2013, 07:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convince me to get a locker

I fully understand how lockers work so I'll spare you the time explaining I'm just stuck thinking here I'm regearing shortly and I know that to make it easy and cheap for labor I should do it then but I'm not seeing the $1000 value in them when I can just use a winch if I'm stuck. So school me in how often and how it has helped you.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Bump! I would like to hear the pros and cons of spending 1k on a locker also.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'd much rather push a button or flip a switch and easily climb over an obstacle than pull cable.

Lockers allow your Jeep to navigate 10 times the obstacles that open diffs do.

Besides, who wants to take the easy line all the time?....
Old 01-14-2013, 08:01 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by finfreeze
I'd much rather push a button or flip a switch and easily climb over an obstacle than pull cable.

Lockers allow your Jeep to navigate 10 times the obstacles that open diffs do.

Besides, who wants to take the easy line all the time?....
your convincing me slightly I mean I know that jeeps have that electronic "locker" wanna be thing where if one tire is off like ESP it put the brake on that tire to allow some power to the other but if that truly works idk. What I do like is the idea I know I'm locked and it's going to work
Old 01-14-2013, 08:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

That shit doesn't hold a candle to actual lockers though.

There are obstacles in moab that are simple enough for a stock rig to climb but are so damn steep lockers are required to get up them.

Also, sometimes you get so flexed out the open diffs will take the path off least resistance and your 2 opposite tires are spinning. If you have lockers in these situations, you cruise right through and get some good pictures of your rig on 3 wheels too!
Old 01-14-2013, 08:07 AM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sometimes u can't winch if ur alone....

Click image for larger version

Name:	1632256632_4724245517392.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	409380

His winch was useless.... Nowhere to winch to.... I couldn't even pull him forward with it.... Now he was REALLY stuck and lockers weren't helping him, I got behind him and used mine to winch him back while I locked my diffs and pulled too

If ur out where there's nothing to winch to u would be surprised by the fact that a locker will keep u moving
Old 01-14-2013, 08:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by triplethreat5188
your convincing me slightly I mean I know that jeeps have that electronic "locker" wanna be thing where if one tire is off like ESP it put the brake on that tire to allow some power to the other but if that truly works idk. What I do like is the idea I know I'm locked and it's going to work
The stock rubicon electronic locker is a real locker, not a "wanna-be-thing", and should not be confused with ESP. Lockers don't work by applying breaks like esp does. They ensure that the power from your 4wd is distributed evenly between the tires that are connected to the axle that is locked. Otherwise, all your 4wd power takes the path of least resistance and goes to the tire that is up in the air or spinning in the mud, which pretty much renders 4wd worthless at that moment.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

4wd with open diffs is really only 2wd.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by triplethreat5188
I fully understand how lockers work so I'll spare you the time explaining I'm just stuck thinking here I'm regearing shortly and I know that to make it easy and cheap for labor I should do it then but I'm not seeing the $1000 value in them when I can just use a winch if I'm stuck. So school me in how often and how it has helped you.
You have a good point about the winch, but personally, I feel sorta' half-asses not having true 4WD without at lease one locker. It's really easy for one wheel to lose traction and ruin your progress. Then you have to run the winch out and all that mess, which takes time. Also, sometimes you aren't in a situation where you can winch.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:25 AM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by justinstoffregen

The stock rubicon electronic locker is a real locker, not a "wanna-be-thing", and should not be confused with ESP. Lockers don't work by applying breaks like esp does. They ensure that the power from your 4wd is distributed evenly between the tires that are connected to the axle that is locked. Otherwise, all your 4wd power takes the path of least resistance and goes to the tire that is up in the air or spinning in the mud, which pretty much renders 4wd worthless at that moment.
The only thing I absolutely HATE about my factory lockers is that they can ONLY be used in LOW 4WD :-(

Don't get it twisted.... Those lockers are a Godsend in the Jersey mud! That's why I was cruising around in the mud having fun while he was stuck lol

Quick Reply: Convince me to get a locker