Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Converting 2wd to a 4wd

Old 11-11-2007, 06:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperJK
Why the hell would you even buy a 2wd Jeep, thats one of the dumbest things that I ever heard.
You don't even have a clue...
Old 11-11-2007, 07:27 AM
JK Freak

Talking 2wd

The problem I have with the DC now offering a 2wd is that I am young, but I bought MY jeep with my money. My parents didn't help, I didn't even tell them I was buying a vehicle. My step-dad co-signed for me to help me get a lower rate but I pay for eveything, and a lot of people give me static for it and don't belive I off-road in it and now people ask me if it is a 4x4 and I can't say Its a Jeep you moron, you can't find a wrangler that isn't..... That is my only problem with that.

I bought my X "S" package for 21625... So I'm sure you can get a better deal for a 2wd. I mean why pay more for a T-case and axles you are gonna strip anyway? If you do go for it I wanna see it when you finish it. lots o' pics. And I would help if I could, I doubt you are in Abilene Tx. but if so look me up....

Don't mean to step on any toes here but

"People who have an X or sahara, but desire to be a Rubicon lack ambition......"

Rubis are nice and all but, with a whole lotta elbow grease and some change, they could be better.... My X is humble right now and can do some stuff I can't belive it did, and it is almost bone stock, but I have some plans for it.... big plans....

Sorry rubi guys, but honestly are you happy with no lift and 32's? think about it......
Old 11-11-2007, 07:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the point is to build a truck before a Rubi will show up? If so there is no way you will get JK d60s delivered before a Rubi will show up. Have you checked into when those are ready and will ship? Not to mention the time it will take to slap it all together. OR are you going to pay someone?

If the point is to build a rock crawling monster with STaK or Atlas, d60s , etc.... you'd be better off not buying a full bodied vehicle to begin with. Go with a bruiser. The items you are discussing are the things people put into their vehicles once they've already paid for their truck they already have. If you're building from the ground up you should go buggy. You didn't think an Atlas/d60 ride was going to be a DD did you?
Old 11-11-2007, 09:06 AM
Sponsor

If you are going to keep the stock motor and transmission a transfer case will not bolt up to a 2wd JK transmission. We have built a few going the 2wd route and thats something we noticed. The factory does have different logarithms in place for the ESP for 2wd versus 4wd but it does not cause any issues that I have seen.
Dan
Old 11-11-2007, 08:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by saltman
...If the point is to build a rock crawling monster with STaK or Atlas, d60s , etc.... you'd be better off not buying a full bodied vehicle to begin with. Go with a bruiser. The items you are discussing are the things people put into their vehicles once they've already paid for their truck they already have. If you're building from the ground up you should go buggy. You didn't think an Atlas/d60 ride was going to be a DD did you?
??????? Uh, why question the way he wants to build his JK? Telling him that is like telling someone to have Oat Bran for breakfast instead of the doughnuts they bought to eat.

FWIW I plan on having D60's and 40" tires under my rig one day, I guess I should reconsider and build a buggy?
Old 11-12-2007, 02:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Cdash
I think most people are missing the point. If he is talking about an Atlas and 60's for Axles, a Rubi isn't going to satisfy him much. Rubi's are great, but their components won't hold up to Monster builds. If your going to replace the case and axles, your not saving anything starting with 4wd. Starting with a 2 wd gives you the platform you need, without paying for as many things that you are going to strip.

I am not sure that I understand all worries about the computer. The 2wd wouldn't have much except speed sensors to ther rear and a transmission input. Adding a transfer case and front axle wouldn't hurt anything. The computer wouldn't know they are there. I don't see why it would be a problem?

Now, being a numbskull when it comes to most things mechanical and technical, this post makes sense to me and clears up why it would make some sense to buy the 2wd. Joe's original post made it seem as though he just didn't want to wait for a 4wd, and really didn't mention he was doing a total buildup, which is why I and I think many people who posted thought it seemed like a waste of time and money.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:24 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right now if you wanted to build it there would be lots of custom fabricating involved. If you wait even a few months there should be a lot more aftermarket support as people get the long arm lifts out that were shown at SEMA, and the beefier axles that can just bolt in. At this time to go above a 4" lift and 37" tires without a body lift it seems as though the only way to do this is with some creative fender trimming, and adding a bidget boost, and 4" lift toghether. By January of February it sounded like there would be long arm lifts available, and new axle assemblies that are going to hold up to the larger tires.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRockJK
??????? Uh, why question the way he wants to build his JK? Telling him that is like telling someone to have Oat Bran for breakfast instead of the doughnuts they bought to eat.

FWIW I plan on having D60's and 40" tires under my rig one day, I guess I should reconsider and build a buggy?
just throwing out ideas he may not have thought about. and yes you should too. . and to run with your "analogy." It's more like telling someone who hasn't bought oat bran yet that.... aww never mind.

Quick Reply: Converting 2wd to a 4wd