Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Converting 2wd to a 4wd

Old 11-10-2007, 07:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to those who left worthwhile feedback. Shame on me for asking such a technical question. If anyone has some true knowledge please PM me.

Here is a glimpse of my last buildup for the shit talkers.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:41 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by joemauma
Thanks to those who left worthwhile feedback. Shame on me for asking such a technical question. If anyone has some true knowledge please PM me.

Call me stupid, but I thought the point of this forum was to ask questions and learn. Just because you ask, doesn't mean you can do something. So yeah, Sorry dude, there are some asses on here, but there are also a lot of friendly people who have very good info. Anyway, It's my understanding that for a true build up, the 2WD is the way to start, that's what the UA Rubi Wagon was, although it's not really a Jeep anymore either, just the body. Sounds like a plan, sorry I can't help you with any info, but good luck and there are people
Old 11-10-2007, 09:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by SuperJK
Why the hell would you even buy a 2wd Jeep, thats one of the dumbest things that I ever heard.
So people that buy a 2wd JK are stupid? So I guess I am stupid.
I love how those are you that are so macho that they can't fathom the idea of Jeep making a 2wd jeep. If you don't need to go offroad but love the look of the jeep and have kids I think that it was a Great move for DC to make. They opened up the market to a whole new group of people. I have had this rant over and over but it makes me laugh my ass off that people bash those of us that have a 2wd.

And on the topic of the thread.... Good luck on whatever project you decide to do. So put up pics and keep us updated.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would think a base 2wd X would be the best way to start if you are doing a total build. If your going to toss the entire OE driveline anyway it wouldnt make to much sense to get a rubi.

I dont regret getting a sahara over the rubi at all. With the availability of getting the rubi front axle for around 1500, i plan on goin that route. That and the rear lsd i think would be a pretty good combo for the wheeling that i want to do. I dont like the electronic disconnect on the rubi, i'd prefer the simple manual disconnects instead and the 4:1 TC isnt a necessity to me either.

So those with saharas and Xs, dont have rubi envy. With a few choice mods we can be just as capable. Dont forget the most important mod, the driver.

Last edited by merfsiu; 11-10-2007 at 10:30 AM.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by merfsiu
If your going to toss the entire OE driveline anyway it wouldnt make to much sense to get a rubi.
If this were an old Jeep, I would say go for it......even though you technically couldn't do that. But with all the computer crap on the vehicle, that alone would shoo me away. I think a base X 4wd starts at 23k, with the 2wd at 21k. If you're doing a complete build.......which requires alot of money, why would you skimp on TWO thousand bucks to get the computer equipment???
Old 11-10-2007, 02:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

+1 it just makes no sense.
You are going to spend a LOT more trying to start with a 2wd.
There is no advantage to starting with a 2wd even if you plan on
swapping out everything the parts you would change would resell
for more than 2 G

Originally Posted by JUSTIN01
If this were an old Jeep, I would say go for it......even though you technically couldn't do that. But with all the computer crap on the vehicle, that alone would shoo me away. I think a base X 4wd starts at 23k, with the 2wd at 21k. If you're doing a complete build.......which requires alot of money, why would you skimp on TWO thousand bucks to get the computer equipment???
Old 11-10-2007, 02:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by joemauma

Nice looking rig!

I would waite for the Rubi.

On the other hand I hope you do what you are thinking with a 2wd. I would love to see the write up.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:49 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is usually less expensive to buy a 4wd and upgrade than to convert a 2wd to a 4wd. If you are looking to do this you can buy the rubicon axles and they should just bolt in, and try to buy parts that came oe on the 4wd Wranglers. I would assume that as long as it was on another JK it should just bolt in.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think most people are missing the point. If he is talking about an Atlas and 60's for Axles, a Rubi isn't going to satisfy him much. Rubi's are great, but their components won't hold up to Monster builds. If your going to replace the case and axles, your not saving anything starting with 4wd. Starting with a 2 wd gives you the platform you need, without paying for as many things that you are going to strip.

I am not sure that I understand all worries about the computer. The 2wd wouldn't have much except speed sensors to ther rear and a transmission input. Adding a transfer case and front axle wouldn't hurt anything. The computer wouldn't know they are there. I don't see why it would be a problem?
Old 11-11-2007, 06:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cdash
I think most people are missing the point. If he is talking about an Atlas and 60's for Axles, a Rubi isn't going to satisfy him much. Rubi's are great, but their components won't hold up to Monster builds. If your going to replace the case and axles, your not saving anything starting with 4wd. Starting with a 2 wd gives you the platform you need, without paying for as many things that you are going to strip.

I am not sure that I understand all worries about the computer. The 2wd wouldn't have much except speed sensors to ther rear and a transmission input. Adding a transfer case and front axle wouldn't hurt anything. The computer wouldn't know they are there. I don't see why it would be a problem?

You hit the nail on the head. Why spend an extra $2000 for a 4wd when the transfercase and axle are going to get stripped. I agree about the computer as well, it won't have a clue that I've placed a transfercase and different front axle under it. I think the best way to get the answers I'm looking for is to take a creeper to a dealership and compare a 2wd to the 4wd.

Rubis are nice, but I'll never feel confident with the axles/lockers they come with.

Thanks to the replys from everyone else who understands where I'm coming from.

Quick Reply: Converting 2wd to a 4wd