Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Convert Lift To Long Arm For Less?

Old 01-30-2012, 10:05 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Convert Lift To Long Arm For Less?

I currently have a zone offroad 3" Lift installed and am about to buy all of the adjustable control arms aswell. I figured while i am at it, would it be possible to somehow convert my current lift kit to a long arm? Ive read about possibly buying long arm control arms? Does that seem possible? Any info or insight about what i should do is greatly appreciated. Im sure someones going to say just buy a full long arm but thats not happening... yet...
Old 01-30-2012, 10:12 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

in order to go long arm, you will need to hack off your existing control arm mounts and install new relocated mounting brackets on the frame rails. with them in place, you can install the accompaning longer arms. that right there is the bulk of your cost. you can keep your coils, shocks, swaybar links, track bars and basic things like that if you have them but really, they're not gonna save you all that much and really, there's no need for long arms on just 3" of lift.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:15 AM
Former Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Maertz
I currently have a zone offroad 3" Lift installed and am about to buy all of the adjustable control arms aswell. I figured while i am at it, would it be possible to somehow convert my current lift kit to a long arm? Ive read about possibly buying long arm control arms? Does that seem possible? Any info or insight about what i should do is greatly appreciated. Im sure someones going to say just buy a full long arm but thats not happening... yet...

You will need mounting brackets for long arms, you can't install the longer arms in the factory locations.

we have an upgrade kit for this
http://full-traction.com/detail.php?...TID=430&NOTES=
Old 01-30-2012, 10:23 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by wayoflife
in order to go long arm, you will need to hack off your existing control arm mounts and install new relocated mounting brackets on the frame rails. with them in place, you can install the accompaning longer arms. that right there is the bulk of your cost. you can keep your coils, shocks, swaybar links, track bars and basic things like that if you have them but really, they're not gonna save you all that much and really, there's no need for long arms on just 3" of lift.
What size lift and above would you reccomend it? I take it that it can not flex low enough to be a benefit? If that's the case ill just get the control arms as if I lift much higher and get bigger tires I won't be able to get into the garage :(
Old 01-30-2012, 10:25 AM
JK-Forum Founder

What size lift and above would you reccomend it? I take it that it can not flex low enough to be a benefit? If that's the case ill just get the control arms as if I lift much higher and get bigger tires I won't be able to get into the garage :(
long arms are only really needed when you get up over 4" of lift. they will help correct your suspension geometry and that will allow for a much better ON PAVEMENT ride.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:31 AM
JK Jedi

One last question then? Does a 4 inch long arm perform much better than a 4 in coil lift OFFROAD?
Old 01-30-2012, 10:36 AM
JK-Forum Founder

One last question then? Does a 4 inch long arm perform much better than a 4 in coil lift OFFROAD?
"much better"? no, not necessarily and it's a shame that so many people think that. longer arms will allow your axle to articulate more correctly but really, the point in running them is to help you keep your suspension geometry closer to stock when going big. the factory JK arms are plenty long and much longer than the old TJ and they're fine for running up to about 4" of lift. bigger than that, and you're most likely running 37's or bigger and i would definitely recommend them.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:59 AM
JK Jedi

Ok thanks for all the info!

Quick Reply: Convert Lift To Long Arm For Less?