Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Conversion to J8 need help

Old 08-11-2009, 01:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about desert camo... get some olive drab, tan, and flat black in there... done right I think it could look good!
Old 08-11-2009, 02:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i love o.d. but ive havent seen anyone paint a jk tan yet. but not that new tan they have shown its to light, the olld wwII tan like the africa campain jeeps in wwII.

this shade would be cool with black fenders,bumpers,rail,top imo.
a remake of one of the sas desert rats jeeps.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:24 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by joes-jk
i love o.d. but ive havent seen anyone paint a jk tan yet. but not that new tan they have shown its to light, the olld wwII tan like the africa campain jeeps in wwII.

this shade would be cool with black fenders,bumpers,rail,top imo.
a remake of one of the sas desert rats jeeps.

That's so badass. It's my dream to restore an old Willy's just like that. Love the guns. Where did you come across this one?
Old 08-11-2009, 07:32 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 98jeepboy
Haha, while the sarge is a J8, its not a base J8. The guys at skunk works built it with the mopar goodies. I would like to have a 2dr lwb. I don`t have the money to do this. The conversion is being done on a budget. If all goes to plan. I will have less then 300 in the paint. the bumper should be less the 100 shipped. I will keep the tow hooks for now till i find the J8 shackles. the rear bumper will be custom or no bumper. I will be leaveing all creature comforts. Also this is my daily driver so this work will be done in stages. Bumpers and rails will be black.
Where are you getting the bumper from? I've got plans for a custom front similar to the J8 but with an integrated winch but would really like to pick up one of those rears.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bill R.
Where are you getting the bumper from? I've got plans for a custom front similar to the J8 but with an integrated winch but would really like to pick up one of those rears.

The front is the factory export. I am planing to use TJ fog lamps. for front. Um the rear is totaly different. The rear frame on the J8 is elongated. I am looking at ways to clone the look and do it cheap. You could get one made if you have a friend with a break and some extra 1/8 steel. Im looking at a mounting system simular to how you add the winch bumper to a humvee. I am looking at lots of pics to clone it as close as I can but give it my own flare too.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have found out some new info. I have been oging over many a photo. It seems the frames are very close to being the same. Yes I know it has leaf in the rear. From all the photos I have and have seen. They are built the same. The rear is not four link vs the leaf. Thats all I can tell. When I get to see a J8 up close I will know more. It seems the rear bumper is just a different mounting. I am trying to get a friend over seas to snap me a few of the real ones. From what i can see and told the rear cross member is all that is changed.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

look at mine......it's the color your thinking of.......
Old 08-20-2009, 07:57 AM
JK Super Freak

I would paint it with whatever AEV used on their J8

And leave the top and fenders black, if we ever paint another jeep its gonna be this color lol

Click image for larger version

Name:	131_0904_06_z+american_expedition_vehicles_j8_crate_jeep+two_door_jeep_j8[1].jpg
Views:	241
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	28878
Old 08-20-2009, 07:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

To drive home the point That the military dont change much here you go. I cant stress enough that you need to look at what you get before you buy it. Here is a J8 Frame
Now Here is a JK Frame. Note that they are 90% the same.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Squirrel Killer
Yea military trucks and me didnt get along. This is what I spent 9 years on. SEMPER FI

Haha. looks like a bradley. That is one way to make hole. I hope that was the intention of that. I would love to drive one, better yet parrelle park one on main street here. I live in mayberry.... You you know Andy Taylor(grifth).

Quick Reply: Conversion to J8 need help