Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Control Arms Question

Old 01-21-2013, 06:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm keeping all the info you guys are giving but I was curious if there is something out there to walk me through it step by step? If not I can fumble through but just like to know I'm doing it write. I'm a newbie but trying to learn and doing work on my own if I can!!

I would research myself but my laptop crashed and I'm doing this all via cell phone so any help on finding instructions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Found install instructions online if anyone is interested. Look them over let me know what ya think.

http://www.armoredworks.com/metalclo...ol-Arms-JK.pdf
Old 01-21-2013, 08:19 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by areeves65
I jumped the gun and scored a good deal on daystar front and rear upper adjustable control arms... Should I put my big boy pants on and go ahead and get front lowers?
You can use shorter uppers or longer lowers to accomplish the same thing. You are rotating the differential downward slightly to add caster angle. Most people do the lowers because they are easier to install. The passenger side upper front is a bitch because the exhaust is in the way of the bolt coming out. Not sure if that's still true on the 2012+ JK's. Be careful not to add too much adjustments or you'll get drive shaft vibrations and a reason to spend another $500.

Here's the instructions for the arms you bought...

http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Installation/75217.pdf

Last edited by JohnnyQuik; 01-21-2013 at 08:22 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:10 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by areeves65
Found install instructions online if anyone is interested. Look them over let me know what ya think.

http://www.armoredworks.com/metalclo...ol-Arms-JK.pdf
I would check YouTube as well, I have found a lot of great install videos there, and I learn better visually anyway...
Old 01-22-2013, 03:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JohnnyQuik

You can use shorter uppers or longer lowers to accomplish the same thing. You are rotating the differential downward slightly to add caster angle. Most people do the lowers because they are easier to install. The passenger side upper front is a bitch because the exhaust is in the way of the bolt coming out. Not sure if that's still true on the 2012+ JK's. Be careful not to add too much adjustments or you'll get drive shaft vibrations and a reason to spend another $500.

Here's the instructions for the arms you bought...

http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Installation/75217.pdf
Thanks for that!!! Anyone know any tricks to making the passenger side front upper come off easier? Mine is a 2008 so I'm sure it'll be a pain.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most people just cut it off and buy a new bolt. A lot of kits come with a replacement bolt but if not, just buy a new one and save yourself a ton of aggravation.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:11 AM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

We would definitely recommend front lower control arm for improving caster if only one pair of arms is the only thing in your budget! They will add caster and improve your wheel base! At 4" of lift with no corrective control arms, your wheel base gets shortened quite a bit!

Hope that helps.

RK
Old 01-22-2013, 08:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I install a stock mod kit now and lower control arms later, will I need to get another alignment?
Old 01-31-2013, 05:43 PM
JK Junkie

Not if you accurately set the arm lengths according to the instructions.

Quick Reply: Control Arms Question