Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Control Arms Question

Old 01-21-2013, 05:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Control Arms Question

I have 4" of lift but never got adjustable control arms. My ride isn't great and alignment has been a pain in my a$$.

I'm looking at buying some control arms from "rusty's 4x4 parts" and need to know what sets I need for best adjusting my caster. As well as are there different lengths? I see some just adjustable control arms and I see some long arm suspension control arms? Which do I need?

Learning everyday - sorry. It's just easier to ask you guys.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:09 PM
JK Newbie

To adjust caster you will want front upper adjustable control arms. You do not want long arms. Typically, the lower control arm sets wheel base or if you have a tire rubbing. The uppers adjust pinion angle/caster. Good Luck!
Old 01-21-2013, 06:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by David M
To adjust caster you will want front upper adjustable control arms. You do not want long arms. Typically, the lower control arm sets wheel base or if you have a tire rubbing. The uppers adjust pinion angle/caster. Good Luck!
Thanks for the response! Is there a write up on installing control arms? I know about the thread by wayalife in doing the self alignment - but id like to see a install. Do you know?
Old 01-21-2013, 06:12 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did front lowers and it worked great, ive always heard front lowers n rear uppers to be least expensive and a reccomended minimum
Old 01-21-2013, 06:13 PM
Former Vendor

If your complaint is related to the steering then you will want to install a set of lower adjustable control arms to adjust your caster. The upper control arms are used to adjust pinion angle but it will cont into play with the caster to a degree.

A long arm kit is not what you want. The long arm kit will require welding, cutting, and fabrication. Long arm kits are for the serious people that want the best performance off road.

Let us know if you want a quote on anything.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:13 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As for installing front lowers are simple unbolt 2 bolts and put the new one in if i recall correctly. Do one side at a time.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:15 PM
JK Freak

Front lower control arms will give you a greater range of adjustment. Long arm control arms are for long arm lifts only. You need the short/mid control arms.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:17 PM
JK Junkie

Front uppers or lowers can be used to adjust caster. Most of us get lowers. Long arms are a lot more work since you need to relocate the mounts on the frame (think cutting, grinding, welding...). You probably don't want to go there.

Do some research on the arms as to brand. I don't have anything bad to say about Rusty's, since I've never used them, but I may have read about issues with the joints. Not sure, though. My suspension is Rock Krawler. Just FYI.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

I jumped the gun and scored a good deal on daystar front and rear upper adjustable control arms... Should I put my big boy pants on and go ahead and get front lowers?
Old 01-21-2013, 06:23 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Maertz
As for installing front lowers are simple unbolt 2 bolts and put the new one in if i recall correctly. Do one side at a time.
Put a floor jack under your pinion so you can raise & lower it to get the holes to line up

Quick Reply: Control Arms Question