Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Control arms. Need info

Old 11-08-2011, 04:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Control arms. Need info

going to be installing adjustable control arms coming up very soon to go along with my 4 inch coils and shocks already installed... How do you adjust these properly and what exactly am I trying to accomplish by doing this ... I just know there kinda a must so I'm getting them... Still new at this and need help... Things like caster and stuff I don't really understand... Does this help at all with the driveshaft by putting these in
Old 11-08-2011, 04:30 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk/jeep-j...uspension-mods
Old 11-08-2011, 05:27 PM
JK Newbie

Ya that tells ne how to do it.... I'm trying to figure out why to do it... I'm new to doing anything to vehicles so just trying to rap my head around it... And what does adjustable control arms do if it helps with the angle of driveshafts or what... I don't know if they explained it on that page but I can't find it... If anyone can give me a little 101 class that would be awesome
Old 11-08-2011, 05:29 PM
JK Freak

If you want to DIY, project JK has a write up. I didn't want to try it on my own so let a local shop do the alignment. They adjust control arms and track bar. Plus lubed the suspension for $79. Why do it? After my lift the JK felt loose on corners and flighty over bumps. Caster needed to be dialed in. Mine ended up at 4.4 degrees.

Last edited by SergeantChuck; 11-08-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adj. control arms will help to adjust the camber and castor, along with help correct your pinon angle to stock, post lift. As written by WOL, this will help in overall handling tremendously.

"Caster is the angle upon which your front axle sits at in order to help keep your Jeep driving straight. Positive caster, which is what you want, will cause your axle to sit in a way that your pinion shaft will be dipping ever so slightly towards the ground. Too little or even negative caster angle can cause your Jeep to wander and feel 'flighty' or 'darty' as I've heard some people call it. From the factory, your JK will have +4.2° of caster and if you lift it and install larger tires, you will need to increase this amount to help compensate for the modifications. At 3"-4" of lift, I have found that +6°~8° of caster will do wonders to help improve the handling of your Jeep JK Wrangler."
Old 11-08-2011, 07:51 PM
JK Newbie

If I have a 4" lift in already is it as simple as just jacking it up and taking arms out one by one and replacing them ? Or is there instructions anywhere with just adding adjustable control arms to a already lifted jeep ?

Last edited by Probo; 11-08-2011 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:43 AM
JK Super Freak

I installed mine about a year post lift. I just followed parts of this write up that applied to installing the control arms. you pretty much hit it right on the head....just replace one at a time. One of the sides you have to cut the old bolt out since the exhaust header is in the way. The new bolt just gets put in from the other side.

Control arms are best installed with all four tires on the ground, not up on jack stands. It will be way easier...

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ation-write-up

this also another good thread with discussion

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...stall-concerns
Old 11-09-2011, 09:21 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jeepmedic
Adj. control arms will help to adjust the camber and castor, along with help correct your pinon angle to stock, post lift. As written by WOL, this will help in overall handling tremendously.
How do adjustable control arms help to adjust camber?
Old 11-09-2011, 12:41 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jeepmedic
I installed mine about a year post lift. I just followed parts of this write up that applied to installing the control arms. you pretty much hit it right on the head....just replace one at a time. One of the sides you have to cut the old bolt out since the exhaust header is in the way. The new bolt just gets put in from the other side.

Control arms are best installed with all four tires on the ground, not up on jack stands. It will be way easier...

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ation-write-up

this also another good thread with discussion

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...stall-concerns
So your saying dint even jack it up... Just park it in you driveway and get t it ?
Old 11-09-2011, 02:09 PM
JK Super Freak

right on

Quick Reply: Control arms. Need info