Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

control arms

Old 07-30-2014, 09:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys, quick question...

I'm tiring to move or set my axles further apart. So in other words...the front axle forward and the rear axle back some. I know that control arms move the axles but which arms (I.e front lower, rear uppers...ect?) make the most difference in repositioning of the axles.

Ultimately I want to move my rear axle back some so I have enough room for bigger tires since my current tire size is close to rubbing.

I know long arms are known to move the axles but I don't want to cut or weld the jeep so I was thinking adj control arms but not looking to buy all 8 at once so I want to know which will make the most impact on both front and rear in terms of repositioning axles
Old 07-30-2014, 09:08 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

You need both upper and lower arms to move the axle forward / backward in the wheel well.

A single set of arms will 'tilt' the axle to adjust the caster/pinion.

front upper
-shorten to tilt the top of the housing back / lower pinion / raise caster
-lengthen to tilt the top of the housing forward / raise pinion / lower caster
front lower
-shorten to tilt the bottom of the housing back / raise pinion / lower caster
-lengthen to tilt the bottom of the housing forward / lower pinion / raise caster

If you only get one set at each end, and your goal is 'minimal' wheelbase increase, get the front lowers, since they will be lengthened to increase caster after a lift. For the rear, you will want to raise the pinion after a lift. If you use the lowers, you are decreasing the wheelbase, 'minimally', so uppers may be the better choice. (rear - shorten the lowers to raise the pinion. Lengthen the uppers to raise the pinion)

And by 'minimal', I mean a really really small amount. Possibly bordering on non-measureable.

Last edited by nthinuf; 07-30-2014 at 09:18 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Theres a lot more that goes into changing your wheelbase than just some adjustable control arms. Look up the Black Widow build and see what all was done on that to achieve the longer wheelbase. You will need custom driveshafts, relocated Shock mounts, and yes, longer control arms, this isn't something that you can really do piecemeal though. It's a very involved job and will likely require comp cutting in the rear and will need to lose your stock and most aftermarket fenders as well. I'm looking at doing this myself and have started researching and have decided that I will likely move only the rear axle on my rig which will also result in the rear frame being cut and a custom rear bumper being welded in to tie the rear frame horns back together as well as comp cutting the rear fenders. Best of luck in your build!
Old 07-31-2014, 05:03 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most short (some call them mid arms) adjust a good amount longer then stock.
I know Currie and I believe synergy adjust to stock which allows centering of the axles without over doing it.

2007 Rubicon /2 door/6 speed
Old 07-31-2014, 11:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

nthinuff pretty much summed it up well. Details on why you want to and what you're looking for would help with correct guidance but "generally" I wouldn't mess with the front position other than LCAs to adjust caster as mentioned. And I would pick up a set (4) of control arms from RK that are designed to move the rear aft 1". You also need to remount the sway bar mounts back an " as well.

Expect tailpipe contact and spring bow contact if you have aftermarket springs and trackbar.

If you're lifting, when you consider a rear driveshaft (and you should), give actual flange to flange measurements to the mfr and have one built with the extra 1".

This would be the bare minimum and simplest way to go to get you going without further elaboration from you.

Isn't this fun?

Last edited by fredrok; 07-31-2014 at 11:27 AM.

Quick Reply: control arms