Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Control arms on a 3.25 RC lift?

Old 08-04-2009, 09:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Control arms on a 3.25 RC lift?

Just ordered the RC 3.25 kit.. Am I going to have any issues with my castor with this? Can I get away with stock control arms for awhile? Im on a very tight budget as of right now... I have the 35's ready to install once the lift gets here..
Old 08-04-2009, 09:22 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might be able to get away with it- but eventually you will have to get at least adj front lower control arms to set castor. If you are on a tight budget you might want to look into getting cam bolts installed... but they do not have a very good reputation on here..
Old 08-04-2009, 03:38 PM
JK Freak

you can get cam bolts for now to help but you would want to get upper control arms for the caster/pinion angle and the lowers control arms are for wheelbase. when you lift the jeep the arms swing back shortening the wheel base at ride hight so you get lower control arm to bring the wheel base back to spec then you get upper control arms to adjust the pinion and caster angle and when you lift the jeep you will need a little more caster an pinion angle then stock around 4.5- 5 degrees . i have been working on this for a bit to get things right on my jeep . hope that helps

i got my rock krawler lower control arms from RK for 169.00 and the uppers i made my self i took the stock arms and sleeved them to about 19.75 inches (cut in middle and used 1.25 .120 wall dom with fits the stock 1" od then i drilled hole and plug welded and the stock arms in to the new tube then i welded the ends up makeing sure it was the right length )
Old 08-04-2009, 03:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

As many people that run a 3.25 lift I havent heard anyone complain about the castor... Anyone else have any feedback?
Old 08-04-2009, 05:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jonmorgan12
You might be able to get away with it- but eventually you will have to get at least adj front lower control arms to set castor. If you are on a tight budget you might want to look into getting cam bolts installed... but they do not have a very good reputation on here..
What exactly do the cam bolts do? Im starting to feel like I'm in over my head.. I just want to run 35s and occassionaly play around.. Not going to hit the trails in CO any time soon.. Would I be better off leaving out the .75 spacers that come with the kit?
Old 08-04-2009, 06:54 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ATXFIREMAN
What exactly do the cam bolts do? Im starting to feel like I'm in over my head.. I just want to run 35s and occassionaly play around.. Not going to hit the trails in CO any time soon.. Would I be better off leaving out the .75 spacers that come with the kit?
Cambolts allow for a slight adj of castor, bad thing is, is that you have to slot your control arm brackets to use them. And even at that they don't have the adjustability of frt lowers. Basically they're a cheap way of adj castor and or pinion angle. Not recommended by most.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:57 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by ATXFIREMAN
Would I be better off leaving out the .75 spacers that come with the kit?
Install the kit and try it, only way you'll know for sure, run it a couple weeks, if you don't like it , yank the spacers then.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:05 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by MarcusRTJ
ATX we have spoken in PMs but I'm gonna put my opinion here so others can critique it.

I'm running the 2.5" kit and it rides absolutely great, no darty steering or crazy crap going on because of angles and such.

I SEEEERIOUSLY doubt that another 3/4 of an inch are going to throw off your angles to the extent of needing to add more stuff.

My Jeep was lifted no more than 2.5" and really I'm not sure if its lifted that high anymore. You're not going to get 5" out of the 3.25" kit like a TF kit or the other brands. You're going to score 3 to 3.25" of lift.

Put the damn thing on your Jeep and drive it around. I promise you aren't in over your head.

If you want to keep it simple then just throw in the springs and shocks in for now and then when you get ready or some more time throw in the track bar brackets and spacers.
Mine was basically the cliff note version.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've got the RC 4" (which gave 4.5" of lift) on and did not put in the cam bolts that are with the kit. Although I do plan on getting the upper and lower arms eventually, as of right now my Jeep tracks straight and is not jittery at all, and all in all is a much smoother ride then before. The only thing I have found which I will correct tommorow is a bolt holding the rear track bar bracket rubs the left rear coil. But I will cut about 1/2 centimetre off the end of it and there will be no problems.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think youll be more than ok for now with stock control arms since its a 2.5" kit with 3/4" spacers, itd be different if you ran 3.25" coils like from Rusty's as they would net you a little more height, but i would definatly look into a front track bar and rear track bar bracket if the kit doesnt come with them, on my Skyjacker 2.5" lift i have a Teraflex 2-3" rear track bar bracket and i just put on a JKS front track bar cause my front axle was a little off center, i also have 3/4"
spacers on the front to level it out, it rides good and straight still, but like others say, go ahead and put the lift on and see how it does, but im pretty sure youll be ok.

By the way i got my track bar from northridge4x4 for $139, free shippin on orders over $100, best deal i found by far.

Quick Reply: Control arms on a 3.25 RC lift?