Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Control arms

Old 08-01-2013, 12:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Currie lift, normal arms, 37" MTR's.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1973856259.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	483970  
Old 08-01-2013, 03:50 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Long arms can allow you to increase down travel, But it will depend on the overall set up the the rig, as it is just one part of an entire system.

A properly set up long arm has no drawbacks to the off road performance either, in fact it will be a better then a short arm in both on road and off road at any lift height.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:41 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Long arms can allow you to increase down travel, But it will depend on the overall set up the the rig, as it is just one part of an entire system.

A properly set up long arm has no drawbacks to the off road performance either, in fact it will be a better then a short arm in both on road and off road at any lift height.
You are wrong, sorry. Longer shocks will increase your travel not longer arms. Arms will increase the quality of the travel but not make more travel. JKs don't have "short arms" stock. They are more like mid arms. Some people think the JK is like a TJ that has to have a long arm conversion to add more than a 2" lift that is not the case. Long arms will not help off road for anything other than high speed running, they will get in the way when on ledges by allowing the arm to hit the rocks and stop the downward travel of your axles.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:57 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

You may have your opinions and believe the myths about long arms, but if you really know how to properly set up a long arm suspension and understand suspension design you would have been able to comprehend my statement which is 100% correct.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:28 AM
JK Junkie

Wow .......!!
Old 08-06-2013, 03:48 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
You may have your opinions and believe the myths about long arms, but if you really know how to properly set up a long arm suspension and understand suspension design you would have been able to comprehend my statement which is 100% correct.
Yep, lol. Noobs are funny. Having designed and built from scratch numerous 3/4/5 links in my time and being part of a few off road competition teams using scratch built jeeps and buggies I must not have a clue and you must know it all believing you can get more than 11" of travel out of a shock by adding a long a kit to a jeep. ROFL.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:54 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I never said adding long arms would increase travel on a set up using 11" travel shocks vs a short arm? i never even mentioned shocks. I never mentioned tj's either and their shitty thin super short arms.

Mb when I get off the road and can sit down in front of a keyboard I will give a more technical answer on the short arm vs the long arm but I am not going to do it on my phone tonight.

I am not saying I am a know it all but you seem to make assumption and run down people when you half ass read a post. Adding longer shocks may or may not add articulation to a set up, it depends on several components, not just one thing and if you are as experienced as you say you should know that as well.

Last edited by TheDirtman; 08-06-2013 at 07:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Control arms