Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Control arms

Old 07-14-2013, 07:43 AM
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Technically you can add long arms, one pair at a time, most will require new weld in brackets and removal of the old ones.

I would start with the uppers if that is the route you want to go. You could also just go with a 3 link front and rear set up and delete two of the arms. You would want to install new mount on the front axle as well as needing a strong bridge on the rear axle.

I would not wheel anything that is going to require lots of articulation due to the funky geometry you are going to have at the extreme ends of your flex. You will get a lot of pinion angle change with arms that have a large amount of length differences.

Ideally you want the upper arms to be at least 80% the length of the lowers when you are done with the set up.
I figured the rotation on pinion angle would really mess things up ie a big bump in the road. Etc ....short arm pulls harder than long axle rotates...causing some funky steering
Could be wrong and based on his doing this over a while he'd be stuck on the road till he does it comp.eye on one end or the other....
That's the only reason I posted do 1 end at a time....
Btw I still need to call you been gone for almost 3 weeks since kids got out of school......haven't had a chance to slow down till this last Thursday lol.....man kids need to go back to school so I can get a break....
Old 07-14-2013, 10:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so based on this advice I think I'll just save up and do the complete front and rear when I can. As a follow up question would you guys recomend a 3 link rear. I know rubicon express used radius arms for there long arm set up so which will provide more articulation radius arm or 3 link.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:24 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Control arms do not limit articulation. A three link will bind less then a 4 link will but set up properly you should not see much difference between the two.

click on this link, My thoughts on lifts -A Must Read if your getting one it may help you understand your suspension a bit better.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

What effect does binding have. I figured binding limited flex
Old 07-14-2013, 06:56 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Binding can limit flex, but on the jk even with the factory arms it is very hard to cause enough bind in the joints to affect articulation.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Binding can limit flex, but on the jk even with the factory arms it is very hard to cause enough bind in the joints to affect articulation.
If that's the case what's the benefit of even doing mid arms?
Old 07-15-2013, 04:55 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Mid arms is a marketing term. They are the same basic length as the factory arms, just adjustable.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:19 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Bhealey28
If that's the case what's the benefit of even doing mid arms?
No such thing. They either use the factory mounts or they don't. The JK comes with fairly long arms stock, compare to a TJ for reference. The reason to go with long arms is a better ride not more flex, although spring rates and shock valving affect ride more anyway.

When getting advice about this stuff consider whether the poster is trying to sell you something or not. On another thread one told a guy he needed front control arms to set pinion angle and fix caster. What's wrong with that picture?
Old 07-15-2013, 05:36 PM
JK Super Freak

The joint in the arm can and do add a lot of flex overall. I have a rubicon express 3 1/2 super-flex its a "mid-arm" or short arm what ever you like to call it. It has hymn and Johnny joints. My buddy has a basic RE 3 1/2 lift on a RTV ramp I scored a 965 and he scored a 620 that score is based on wheel base full wheel base is a 1000. We both have JKUs. There is some useful info there but don't drink the koolaid just yet. It just another person saying why their way is better with no true facts backing it up. Factory arms with rubber bushing can not and will not flex as well as hymn or Johnny joints. If you do put any kind of a lift with out adjustable arms you are changing your driveline angles and castor. And giving yourself many more headaches and hits to your pocketbook in the long run.

Last edited by JKingAround; 07-15-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:40 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

You mean heim joint? Never seen a hymn joint, does it play a tune when you are flexing?

Quick Reply: Control arms