Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Control arms

Old 07-13-2013, 09:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Control arms

I have the rubicon express 3.5" standard lift. I want to start upgrading the control arms as I get the money. I plan on first doing rear lowers then front uppers when I can. Can I individually upgrade like this to long arms. Or am I stuck with mid arms. Or should I wait longer (up to a year) and just do the complete rear set up. Then when I can do the same to the front. I'd really prefer to slowly do it piece by piece rather than wait and do it all at once??
Old 07-13-2013, 09:27 PM
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'd have to do the rear all at once or front all at once....
Can't just do lowers etc.

I'll build my own arms later when I stretch it but there's nothing wrong with factory arms...

These are stock arms...

Last edited by BRUT4CE; 07-13-2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:32 PM
JK Newbie

The advice I got was to do it all at once. If you're on a budget, you should do front lower, rear lowers and uppers, then front uppers.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BRUT4CE
You'd have to do the rear all at once or front all at once....
Can't just do lowers etc.

I'll build my own arms later when I stretch it but there's nothing wrong with factory arms...

These are stock arms...
Why can't you do just lowers?
Old 07-13-2013, 09:54 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To dial in your caster, and rear pinion, it would be best to do front or rear in one shot, but not a must. You can absolutely start by doing only front lowers to help correct your caster, and or rear uppers to re set your pinion angle. At 3.75" lift, I started with front lowers, rear uppers, then later added front uppers and rear lowers. You don't have to do all at once. I Mix n matched Rock Krawler and Currie on my set up.

Last edited by k0260; 07-13-2013 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

I know I'm able to do control arms one by one but my question is can I do long arms. I know most long arms are weld in. Is this the case with rubicon express if so can I do that?
Old 07-14-2013, 03:12 AM
JK Freak

OP, frustrating how people immediately respond without reading closely, isn't it? Hopefully TheDirtman will chime in soon. I'm also curious.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:05 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

The answer is yes,you can run long arms.Next answer will other than Rubicon Express arms, will they fit.Depending how the bracket are set up,that will determine if your arms are straight or have a bend in them to clear the tire.You can run just long arms in the front or the rear for the time being til more funds are aval.Look for quality arms with Johnny Joints.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:10 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Technically you can add long arms, one pair at a time, most will require new weld in brackets and removal of the old ones.

I would start with the uppers if that is the route you want to go. You could also just go with a 3 link front and rear set up and delete two of the arms. You would want to install new mount on the front axle as well as needing a strong bridge on the rear axle.

I would not wheel anything that is going to require lots of articulation due to the funky geometry you are going to have at the extreme ends of your flex. You will get a lot of pinion angle change with arms that have a large amount of length differences.

Ideally you want the upper arms to be at least 80% the length of the lowers when you are done with the set up.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:38 AM
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JK Inspired
OP, frustrating how people immediately respond without reading closely, isn't it? Hopefully TheDirtman will chime in soon. I'm also curious.
Yeah went back and read my post as well and trying to figure out your response here....there isn't one irrelevant answer so far...just views or what theyve been told.

That's frustrating when I can't quite figure out what's frustrating someone.....

Trying to figure out his needs, I'm running factory arms and adjustable would be nice to build right now but they aren't a immediate need. So I was giving options to spending his money on this..

Quick Reply: Control arms