Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Control Arm Question

Old 08-29-2020, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathon Linhardt
I just put a 4" lift on my JKU and i purchased the Freedom Off-Road Adjustable Control Arms. the Caster was set at 3.5 and causing massive issues with the death wobble. I wanted to see if anyone knew the length that these adjustable control arms should be set at for get the Caster to about 4.2.

You won't get (or shouldn't) a specific length. You need the shop that installed the lift to set the castor castor correctly.
Old 08-29-2020, 04:17 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,942 Likes on 1,699 Posts

I just put a 4" lift on my JKU and i purchased the Freedom Off-Road Adjustable Control Arms. the Caster was set at 3.5 and causing massive issues with the death wobble. I wanted to see if anyone knew the length that these adjustable control arms should be set at for get the Caster to about 4.2.
juz sayin, low caster doesn't cause DW. Sure, 3.5* is a touch low, probably a full roation on the upper arms, but if you got wobble woes, you got more issues. I'd bet undertorqued TB bolts given the lift was just put on.
Old 08-29-2020, 05:20 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

It is deathwobble, and not some form of wandering/bumpsteer/shimmy? If so, you are going to need more help than just adjusting the ca's, and might want to start your own DW thread instead of tacking it on here. Be sure to post the rest of the alignment specs as well as all of the components in the lift (steering correction, trackbar brackets, etc), better detail on what specifically you feel (violent shaking and you need to come to a stop, general wandering side to side, quick pull/jerk to one side, etc.) and what triggers the steering issue if it is a certain event (driving over one particular seam or bump in a road, or something like that).

Quick Reply: Control Arm Question