Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Control Arm Question

Old 12-08-2013, 06:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Control Arm Question

I'm running a 2 - 2.5" lift with OME springs and shocks. Rear UCA's and FRONT LCA's are on my shortlist of things to do based on what I'm reading in other posts. To get the driveshart and pinion lined up is the thinking correct that the rear uppers will need to be shorter than stock UCA's to accomplish this in the rear and longer LCA's in the front to get the angles lined back up correctly?
Old 12-08-2013, 06:50 PM
JK Super Freak

You'll want lower adjustable control arms for both front and rear to correct pinion angle and extend your wheelbase. Upper control arms help the rest of your wheelbase back.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

You should need to lengthen the rear uppers to get the pinion tilted upwards toward the t-case.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:29 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Are you swapping driveshafts? Front LCAs are good for correcting caster to fix steering feel. If you are running OEM DSs, adjust for good steering feel with no DS vibration. Rear uppers are useful if you have an aftermarket DS (lower could be used, but upper does the job and is cheaper).
Old 12-09-2013, 12:45 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Upper and lower do the exact same thing, just backwards of each other.

Front:
Upper - lengthen to lower caster/raise pinion ; shorten to raise caster/lower pinion
Lower - lengthen to raise caster/lower pinion ; shorten to lower caster/raise pinion

Rear:
Upper - lengthen to raise pinion ; shorten to lower pinion
Lower - lengthen to lower pinion ; shorten to raise pinion

So, your rear uppers would need to be longer than stock to raise the pinion, or shorter than stock to lower the pinion. Which way you go depends on which type of driveshaft joints you are running and what angle you want to achieve.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depending on how you wheel your rig, I would suggest rear lowers first. The stockers are not very stout, I know I bent mine!

Quick Reply: Control Arm Question