Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Control arm mount....Bent it...

Old 08-13-2012, 04:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone. Headed to the shop now to have a local shop heat it up and bend it back in place while I wait for HD LCA mounts to come in from Quadratec later this week or next. As usual....this forum and those in it rock when it comes to helping each other out.

Thanks a ton!!!

Last edited by wayoflife; 08-26-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:41 AM
JK Newbie

Jeep is finally at my local shop getting new mounts welded on. Will send pics when done.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:04 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by k0260
I've wondered of Rancho's or Rugged Ridge's lower control arm skids would help reinforce the lca mount on the axle? Seems like they would
A couple of pics for reference.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hopefully a welded fix will work for you, but I like the idea of heating and bending the original if possible. I only had that bracket break on one rig. Tried the weld fix but it kept breaking again until the axle housing was finally replaced. That rig put a LOT more torque on the axle than a 3.8 ever could, however.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:42 PM
JK Newbie

More help needed...please read....

Well too dark to take a pic but the mount looks great!!! After that I took it over to NTB for an alignment....was still way off...and with the damn electronic stability program going off cause of the steering wheel I was going crazy trying to drive.

So NTB says there's something royally screwy somewhere but they don't know where...only that the pitman arm has a lot of play and something about it being 1.6in off of where it should be and they can't get it any straighter than hey did. Steering wheel is loose in some spots...tighter in others. Not sure where to go besides the dealer next...and I can pretty much plan on this not being covered by warranty. Any thoughts on what else could have been bent/tweaked when I crushed the LCA mount? tie rod, sway bars, control arms...all are straight...or at least they are as they are supposed to be. Thinking here has to be something I'm missing that I should check.

Thanks for any thoughts on this-Mike
Old 08-23-2012, 04:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedLake
More help needed...please read....

Well too dark to take a pic but the mount looks great!!! After that I took it over to NTB for an alignment....was still way off...and with the damn electronic stability program going off cause of the steering wheel I was going crazy trying to drive.

So NTB says there's something royally screwy somewhere but they don't know where...only that the pitman arm has a lot of play and something about it being 1.6in off of where it should be and they can't get it any straighter than hey did. Steering wheel is loose in some spots...tighter in others. Not sure where to go besides the dealer next...and I can pretty much plan on this not being covered by warranty. Any thoughts on what else could have been bent/tweaked when I crushed the LCA mount? tie rod, sway bars, control arms...all are straight...or at least they are as they are supposed to be. Thinking here has to be something I'm missing that I should check.

Thanks for any thoughts on this-Mike
Sounds like your steering gear box took a hit. I have heard that they are a weak link with the JK. Look at the sector shaft, its where the pitman arm bolts to the box. The shaft may be bent. Have someone turn the steering wheel completely from side to side and see if the shaft moves in a circular motion as it should or if it takes an oval pattern. Oval is bad. And no it wouldn't be covered under warranty as it was a collision with a rock.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Also did you check where the control arm mounts on the frame? That bracket could also be bent/torn. I have also seen the track bar bracket on the axle torn off on one side. Check the track bar bracket where it mounts to the axle while someone moves the steering wheel back and forth.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:39 AM
JK Newbie

Okay...so question to the jeep gods on this forum....

The brilliant guys at NtB Couldn't align the jeep...said they didn't know what was wrong but was way off right.,,when I got it home I got under and started looking at everything. Had my 9 year old daughter in the driver seat turning the wheel both ways and noticed the pitman arm looked loose...grabbed a wrench and tightened it up...three full turns...wtf?!?!? Anyways...so that seemed to help a lot...but still needs more tweaking...will take to dealer. My question is that my front differential seems to be set more passenger side than driver side. If you look at it the passenger side has way more tread outside of the fender than the driver side. How is this adjusted...only via the track bar?

Thanks-Mike
Old 08-26-2012, 11:50 AM
JK Jedi

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RedLake
Okay...so question to the jeep gods on this forum....

The brilliant guys at NtB Couldn't align the jeep...said they didn't know what was wrong but was way off right.,,when I got it home I got under and started looking at everything. Had my 9 year old daughter in the driver seat turning the wheel both ways and noticed the pitman arm looked loose...grabbed a wrench and tightened it up...three full turns...wtf?!?!? Anyways...so that seemed to help a lot...but still needs more tweaking...will take to dealer. My question is that my front differential seems to be set more passenger side than driver side. If you look at it the passenger side has way more tread outside of the fender than the driver side. How is this adjusted...only via the track bar?

Thanks-Mike
exactly, adj trackbar for centering your axle.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:09 PM
JK Newbie

And if you don't have an adjustable track bar? I will get one...but any options till then?

Quick Reply: Control arm mount....Bent it...