Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Control arm mount....Bent it...

Old 08-11-2012, 09:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Control arm mount....Bent it...

Okay...out wheeling Saturday at Creekside Edge and bent my driver side lower control arm bracket. Dealer says you have to replace the axel. Not gonna happen. I just had them replace the damn thing on July 10th when I bent it out in Logadale, Nevada. So two axels in right over 2 months...I think not. I'm thinking I find a weld shop and have them weld on a new fabricated one. Heard this is ok...any thoughts from you all. I can't afford a new axel at the moment so thinking this is my best shot. If so...anyone know a shop who can do it in the Houston area? Also...having to run with no sway bar connected since it won't re-conectt since the bent mount has the front end out of whack big time...freaking stability control is going nuts when I forget to turn it off. As always...any help or thoughts on my latest predicament will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks-Mike
Old 08-11-2012, 09:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol at the dealership saying you have to buy a 2nd axle
Old 08-12-2012, 04:47 AM
JK Super Freak

I also have them weld on a control arm bracket skid/brace plate from Nitro!
Old 08-12-2012, 04:59 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

not called the stealership for nothing!

Yes, you just need to find a local welder to fix this.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:44 AM
JK Freak

I bent mine, heated it up bent it back. It's been fine for 40k miles.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:50 PM
JK Newbie

Well...off to call some folks tomorrow and see who can weld a fix for me. Anyone know if 4 Wheel Parts does this kind of work. I know they do installs and what not...but not sure if they do welding work.

Thanks-Mike
Old 08-12-2012, 07:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah I had the same thing happen to me a few months ago using the edisco the rubicon came with. The dealership recommended that I replace my front axle as well. i ended up just doing an insurance claim and they fixed all kinds of things. just remember to manual disconnect your sway bars if your doing anything serious.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:28 PM
JK Jedi

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've wondered of Rancho's or Rugged Ridge's lower control arm skids would help reinforce the lca mount on the axle? Seems like they would
Old 08-12-2012, 08:12 PM
JK Newbie

Don't know...looking at the rancho pics I'm not sure. Here is what mine looks likes....thinking the skid wouldn't have done much though.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4240192153.jpg
Views:	581
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	353626  
Old 08-13-2012, 04:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by k0260
I've wondered of Rancho's or Rugged Ridge's lower control arm skids would help reinforce the lca mount on the axle? Seems like they would
Definitely would help, it makes them a box structure which is much stronger. At this point I would not repair these as you will only re-damage them. There are some companies that make replacement LCA mounts which are made of 1/4" steel already boxed for about $45 for a pair. I would order those and then take the Jeep to a 4x4 shop or a frame/front end shop to have them installed. Search the internet for "Jeep JK Front Axle HD Lower Control Arm Mounts" to find some.

Last edited by mediocre69; 08-13-2012 at 04:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Control arm mount....Bent it...