Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Control arm bushing replacement?

Old 10-16-2011, 01:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Control arm bushing replacement?

I have Rusty's front lower control arms that use OEM rubber bushings on the axle end. A couple weeks ago I replaced my driver side and it was a pita to do. I basically had to hammer and chisel the rubber and metal sleeve out a piece at a time. Took a wile to do and ruined a chisel in the process. Is there a tool or easier way to remove the old bushing and sleeve? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Did you contact rusty's and ask them how they suggest that you do it? They make enough suspension components that they should know an easy way to do this.
Nope, have'nt contacted them yet. Hoping the rep posts up or anyone who has done this easier than me. I'm sure there are other brand CA's that use OEM bushings too.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced the factory bushings in my TJ, and used a balljoint press. Just be careful, we had a rubber bushing come out explosively, sending my buddy to the ER for stitches.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Blakspire
I replaced the factory bushings in my TJ, and used a balljoint press. Just be careful, we had a rubber bushing come out explosively, sending my buddy to the ER for stitches.
I have a ball joint press from Harbor Freight. I'll see if that will do the job. Thx.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No problem, let me know if it works for you.

Quick Reply: Control arm bushing replacement?