Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Control Arm Bolts

Old 06-01-2009, 08:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Control Arm Bolts

I was reading through some of the threads about control arms due to this being my next mod. While reading a write up on this install I saw that the passenger side upper control arm bolt must be cut to remove due to the exhaust being in the way. Most people just get a new bolt. Some companys send a new bolt just for this. If you use a grade 8 bolt it is not strong enough for the control arms.

Several members in these threads have asked what size bolt is used for the replacement. Which some members advise they just used a bolt 3in x 1/2 in. Most just order one from the dealer. I did some checking into this for myself and wanted to pass on the information that I found.

I contacted a Jeep dealer in my area to get pricing and size for the bolt. i was advised that the bolt for the upper control arms for the front is a Grade 10.9 and the size is 12mm x 1.5. For members that do not understand the measurement of the bolt such as me. I did some reading and will break it down.

The 12mm is the diameter of the bolt i.e the shaft.
The 1.5 is the thread pitch.

I did not get the part number but I asked what was the price for two lower control arm bolts and nuts which attact to the axle. Along with one bolt and nut for the passenger side upper CA. The price was $55.00. So I did some checking and found a site called BoltDepot.com. They have the Grade 10.9 bolts and the prevailing torque lock nuts. Which are the same style that come from the factory.

The price of the bolt and nut is like $3.00 plus shipping. The shipping will make the cost go up more than what you would pay at the dealer but if you need to replace alot of the bolts due to losing them or damaging them. Then it would be more cost effective IMPO.

The size I ordered is 12mm X 1.5 X 80mm. The 80mm is the lenght. In this case 80mm is approx 3 and 1/8th inches.

I do not want to assume that all the control arm bolts are the same but the guy at the parts counter stated that they were. The only difference was the upper CA nut due to a flange on the nut. Maybe member that is more familar can advise if the bolts are all the same on the CAs.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

10.9 is the metric equivilent of U.S. grade 8. And the 1/2 by 3in is pretty close. Now if your really anal retentive and want to keep it exactly stock hardware it sounds like you got a good deal. If you want the strength but not the price then run down to the local home store and grab 8ea of 13/16 x 3in and the appropriate nuts (grade 8 hardware) for about 10 bucks.

Thats just my 2cents....not trying to knock anyone.......I am just cheap.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:34 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 09rubicon
10.9 is the metric equivilent of U.S. grade 8. And the 1/2 by 3in is pretty close. Now if your really anal retentive and want to keep it exactly stock hardware it sounds like you got a good deal. If you want the strength but not the price then run down to the local home store and grab 8ea of 13/16 x 3in and the appropriate nuts (grade 8 hardware) for about 10 bucks.

Thats just my 2cents....not trying to knock anyone.......I am just cheap.
No man I know your not knocking me. I get what your saying.
Im not anal retentive just dont like taking chances with suspension parts since it is my daily driver.
Now a person that does overkill I am. If it can be made bigger better stronger then I will do it. Of course you could say all of us on here are like that.

Thanks for the info.

There is nothing wrong with being cheap exspecially if it works. If it doesn't we just dont say anything about what we did and why it didnt work .
Old 06-01-2009, 08:37 PM
JK Jedi

I found out the hard way that a reg 1/2" grade 8 from lowes will not fit. It is thicker than the factory bolt. Just in case you guys are curious. I hate being in the middle of a project and having to stop to go to the store cause I have the wrong part. Grrrrrrrr.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:41 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
I found out the hard way that a reg 1/2" grade 8 from lowes will not fit. It is thicker than the factory bolt. Just in case you guys are curious. I hate being in the middle of a project and having to stop to go to the store cause I have the wrong part. Grrrrrrrr.
Def know what you mean. I figure that I will remove the driverside bolt first and measure with a calipar before I go any farther just to be safe.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:24 AM
JK Freak

I just bought some metric bolts from boltdepot.com. They shipped fast and their prices are reasonable (especially compared to the dealer). Their shipping is a little pricey so order all the bolts, nuts, washers you need at one time.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:28 AM
JK Newbie

My Apologies. In my earlier post I wrote to use 13/16th bolts. That was incorrect, those are what I replaced the trackbar bolts with. The control arm bolts I used 7/16th grade 8. Sorry for any confusion.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I used the 1/2" replacement grade 8 bolt from Lowe's when I did my passenger side upper CA. It took 3 minutes with a circular file to make it fit snuggly. No concerns at all on strength.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:30 AM
JK Super Freak

My RE kit came with a SAE Grade 8 bolt. As I recall it was a bit snug and they said if it was to run a 1/2 bit thru it to clean it up a tad. It was close enough I probably could have pounded it in. I wouldn't waste the money or effort on securing a metric bolt as there is nothing magic about one and no benefit to running one.

55.00 bucks from the dealer is ludicrous!
Old 06-02-2009, 07:34 AM
JK Jedi Master

Just buy the bolt from the dealer, its only a couple bucks.

I sure the hell wouldnt drill out the hole.

Quick Reply: Control Arm Bolts