Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Considering drilling into hardtop for bolt on mount. How strong/thick is it?

Old 06-03-2021, 05:50 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Do you have experience using rivnuts in fiberglass? I do not myself, but I'd question how well that would grab. I think I'd rather use bolts all the way through with rubber washers and sealant as others above did.
Old 06-03-2021, 06:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by resharp001
Do you have experience using rivnuts in fiberglass? I do not myself, but I'd question how well that would grab. I think I'd rather use bolts all the way through with rubber washers and sealant as others above did.
I do not. The more I think about it the more im thinking they are not a good idea, at least in the areas where I can easily access the rear side. For the two holes right above the glass rivnuts might be the best option though since its double walled.
Old 06-04-2021, 04:57 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 133 Likes on 119 Posts

If you drill and bolt through the double wall section, I'd recommend using a spacer in between to avoid crushing the fiberglass. Some aluminum tube cut to length would work very well for that. If you bolt at all those locations, I'd say that's plenty sturdy for a bicycle. I'd also make every effort to get one or more brackets on the inside to distribute the load as evenly as possible.
The following users liked this post:
Sixty4x4 (06-04-2021)
Old 08-24-2024, 02:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What brand is your rack?

I realize this is a long shot since you posted this a few years ago, but I have a 2013 Wrangler and found similar tracks attached to the hardtop. Is yours a Yakima? Thule?

Originally Posted by icrashbikes
I drilled a bunch of holes in mine to mount some roof rack rails. The picture above is actually very helpful, I used that section where the double-wall section meets the single, right at that double thickness seam. The rails run the length of the hard top and I used some steel flat stock underneath to help distribute the load. I put silicone in each hole with the bolt, I used rubber washers and bolt caps inside to keep it neat and bump-your-head friendly. It's been up there with snowboards, surfboards, kayaks, camping gear in a basket, you name it and no leaks, cracks or any other wear. It's certainly not a point load anywhere on the top, so that may make a difference.

Inside

Old 08-24-2024, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 133 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by 72jayden69
I realize this is a long shot since you posted this a few years ago, but I have a 2013 Wrangler and found similar tracks attached to the hardtop. Is yours a Yakima? Thule?
They are Thule tracks. That last photo shows the feet that fit them, I can probably find a part number if you need it.
Old 08-25-2024, 05:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you. I will check out Thule racks.

Quick Reply: Considering drilling into hardtop for bolt on mount. How strong/thick is it?