Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Cons of running 3.5" back spacing? Soft 8's with spacers..

Old 04-26-2010, 11:37 AM
bkw
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cons of running 3.5" back spacing? Soft 8's with spacers..

Just finished installing fox shocks and tf 3" coils and it looks like my 16x8 5" back spaced Cragar Soft 8's with 35x12.5's are rubbing in a few places. While I'm sure new trackbars would re-center and keep my rear drv side from rubbing against the sway, I'm super close to rubbing on the front braided lines of the fox shocks. I've zip-tied the lines as far in as possible, but it's only a matter of time before the nylon breaks. Also, there's absolutely no room between the caliper and the wheel. Last summer I mildly bent a soft 8 that it'd rub against the caliper. I tried banging it straight, but it still grinds, and now is only reserved for spare emergency duty.

I've got a set of Spidertrax 1.5" spacers.. Anyone with Soft 8's attempt slapping on spacers behind them? What are the negatives of running 3.5"? Will there be any added stress to the driveline components?

According to the modified FAQ, the most one should go is 3.75". In my case, I'll be at 3.5". A quarter of an inch doesnt sound like *that* much, but when it comes to the geometry and added stress to the driveline and suspension components, I really do not want anything to fail.

Oh, and if anyone has any pictures of their JK's with 3.5" BS on stock fenders, I'd super appreciate it. I'm not a huge fan of seeing tires stick out well beyond the fenders.. nor are the LEO's in my area.

Thanks!!
Old 04-26-2010, 02:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Cons of running 3.5" back spacing? Soft 8's with spacers..

I run 18x9.5" PSC Spyderlocks which only come in 3.75. I honestly wouldn't run more that that and don't see a need to. 3.75 sticks out 3" past the stock flares, and puts more stress on the axle C and tubes, so I don't see a need to increase it more.

Quick Reply: Cons of running 3.5" back spacing? Soft 8's with spacers..