Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

confused. 4'' TF w/ 37'' tires

Old 09-09-2009, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool confused. 4'' TF w/ 37'' tires

OK. i have been looking around on this site for months now and still very confused
about what all i EXACTLY need to run 4'' TF lift and 37'' tires. I wheel maybe twice a year and its nothing major usually just mudding. I understand i will need a spare tire carrier..i am just confused on the drive shafts, the gears, and reprograming my spedo. Please help me out and clarify this once and for all!

thanks,
zach
Old 09-09-2009, 06:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have a 2dr or a 4dr Jeep?
Old 09-09-2009, 06:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

2 door black sahara
Old 09-09-2009, 06:10 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Nobody can tell 'you' what EXACTLY 'you' will need...

All the various comments you are reading are based on what we have each found for 'our' various situations, and giving you insight into what you 'may' need or 'may' want to address.

At 4+ inches of lift, driveshafts are 'known' to go out. Will 'you' need new shafts? No clue. But you should budget for them regardless.

With 37+ inch tires, lower gears are a very very good thing. Are people running 37's on stock gears? Sure. Will 'you' enjoy stock gears on 37's? No clue. But I doubt it.

With 37's, your speedo/odometer will be off by a fair margin. Legal issues aside, it's good to get a programmer to reset it. Or get one with performance mods to reset shift points and all that also.

Last edited by nthinuf; 09-09-2009 at 06:14 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

hah thanks..but like i have said i have been reading this site for months..i no i will need new drive shafts...do i get front and rear...do i get the double cardin u-joint, what brand is best? im just confused on it all..for gears what brand? do i do 5.13 or higher?
if your going to post thank you for your help and if you could please be specific..
i understand the jeep is for 'ME' but still, you can sum it up for a newbie.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZBroadbent
hah thanks..but like i have said i have been reading this site for months..i no i will need new drive shafts...do i get front and rear...do i get the double cardin u-joint, what brand is best? im just confused on it all..for gears what brand? do i do 5.13 or higher?
if your going to post thank you for your help and if you could please be specific..
i understand the jeep is for 'ME' but still, you can sum it up for a newbie.
Can check my signature for the mods I have done to run a 4 inch TF and 37 inch Krawlers. I do wheel mine heavily and tow a trailer so I needed the ACOS for some extra clearance. You will need new drive shafts...see woods for that, you should upgrade your steering stabilizer and tie rod bars just because of the weight of the tires. HD track bars front and rear, and a HD drag link is also a good idea. I love my 5.13's ...some will say go deeper 5.38's but that is your call. After that let me know how much more cash you ahve and I will make some more suggestions post up or PM me if you have any other questions I can help with.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:21 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

We can answer your questions. I would go front and rear shaft with 3" plus lifts. As for the gears i would go 5.13 it seems to be the best as we have done plenty and they are cool.

Gerry
Old 09-09-2009, 06:30 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you need gears (5.13s cause you cannot go 5.38 in a D30), driveshafts, programmer, adj. arms (pref longarm), C's, pinch seam trim, swing away carrier and that will get you close to the way it drives now, and not having to worry about break downs. It you start to wheel it more you should think about upgrading the axles to at least have moly shafts. I was gonna go to 37s from my 33s, but I am too poor and had to go 35s. Takes a lot of cash to go 37s without issues. It looks and works great though!
Old 09-17-2009, 11:18 AM
JK Super Freak

I don't think anybody has mentioned wheels yet...

I assume you don't want skinny 37's. To accomodate a 37x12.5 or 13.5 you will need a wider rim than stock.

If you do decide to squeeze them on the stock rims (I know some people do), you will need 1-1/2" wheel spacers to push them out.

Also consider wheel diameter... Less tire sidewall will handle better on the road. Since you are almost always on road, consider an 18" rim? Some go even bigger, but the looks become debatable to say the least!
Old 09-17-2009, 11:45 AM
JK Freak

Try doing a search on the subject. Lots of info already covered and answered.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...72&postcount=2

Quick Reply: confused. 4'' TF w/ 37'' tires