Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Compressor Ideas

Old 01-17-2012, 04:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compressor Ideas

Not sure if I posted this in the right place, but here goes:

What are my compressor options? I have been thinking of going one of 3 routes. The first is the kit from Dominion Offroad, the second is the ARB Twin Compressor CKMTA12, and third is an A/C conversion. I don't know much about the A/C compressor, but what I do know is that it needs some sort of oiling system, custom bracketry, and another belt (or simply a longer one). If anyone has any of these installed, hit me up with some pictures and any advice. I want to have the ability to run air tools and the ARB compressor says it will in the description, but I don't believe it. I know air tools are impractical on the trail, but it would be nice to have the option. Thanks in advance!!
Old 01-17-2012, 04:25 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

for running air tools, you're best bet is to install a tank regardless of what option you go with. but, of the options you're looking at, a oba attached to your serpentine belt will give you the best results.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

I plan on installing a tank, not sure what size or where, but there will be one.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

I decided against the york compressor in favor of the ARB twin.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:54 AM
JK Freak

I can run air tools off my single ARB compressor; I'm sure the double would work just fine. I bought a cheap portable air tank from HF and it works to run an impact wrench I got. In fact, I had a discussion with the ARB engineers who recommended an alternate pressure cut off switch so I could boost the pressure. It's highly capable. My only complaint is that it overheats before it fills up all my tires after air down. It does 3.25 of them (37s) before the auto shutoff. I'm designing a cooling solution that I'm hoping will provide me enough time to finish the last one as well.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:25 AM
JK Newbie

The Old Dominion set up is really nice but pricy... That's my first choice peroid and I may go that route one day if I decide on getting a tank...

Or you can pick up the Viair 2.5 gallon tank which the Old Dominion system runs for $69.99 and pair it up with on of ARB's compressors...

But in the end I like the out of the box nature of the Old Dominion set up, it's just plug and play!

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92043_1200.htm
Old 02-03-2012, 08:25 AM
JK Newbie

I got the Compressor that came with my WARN winch. Any idea of the quality of it?
Old 02-03-2012, 09:43 AM
JK Newbie

That's a really awkward mounting point for a tank...and about the last place I'd ever want to put one. Considering air hose is cheap, and there's plenty of room by the frame rails, why would you add more things in the engine bay?

Belt driven OBA, IMO, is a better way to go, so the York setup would be my choice. Electrically driven systems put extra strain on the electrical system and create a lot of heat. I.e, you won't want to be using the compressor while on a hot day at night, with your rock & headlights on. Your alternator and battery would simply want to melt! And since you're running the truck anyway....
Old 02-03-2012, 10:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tenmile
That's a really awkward mounting point for a tank...and about the last place I'd ever want to put one. Considering air hose is cheap, and there's plenty of room by the frame rails, why would you add more things in the engine bay?

Belt driven OBA, IMO, is a better way to go, so the York setup would be my choice. Electrically driven systems put extra strain on the electrical system and create a lot of heat. I.e, you won't want to be using the compressor while on a hot day at night, with your rock & headlights on. Your alternator and battery would simply want to melt! And since you're running the truck anyway....
I agree with the tank mounting, but I dont know about the electric compressor. Turning the lights off is too easy. I do, however, agree that engine driven is a grand idea, it's just out of my reach right now. I have a 10 ci york that I have modded appropriately. It has good compression and is in good mechanical order. The problem I have with using it at this moment is the.mounting options. The only option I have found requires the use of a totally different belt and pully. In the intrest of space, I would think that a properly groved clutch and longer belt would be the way to go. I still have the york and don't plan on selling. Thoughts?
Old 02-03-2012, 11:14 AM
JK Freak

I have posted before with no response. I have seen on older trucks and Jeeps, the AC sytem converted to on board air. Has anyone done this on a JK? I would love to try it.

Quick Reply: Compressor Ideas