Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Completely confused long arm short arm?

Old 06-08-2010, 07:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I forgot to address the short arm vs. long arm question. When I did my research on lifts it seemed clear that a long arm kit is needed for the 4" + lifts you'd need to accomodate 37" tires or larger.

If this is your daily driver I'd recommend a 3-3.5" short arm lift on 35's. I didn't see a need for the added expense of a long arm kit. You have to do an honest assessment of your driving before you start a build up. If you're like me where your jeep may see deep mud, trails, maybe some rock but also a lot of paved road. You don't need 4+ inches of lift and 37's and a gearing change. Just my opinion of course. If you choose a long arm kit my bet is you wouldnt ever have noticed the difference from a short arm kit.

I chose the AEV Nth degree 3.5" lift. Its an extemely well engineered kit that actually improved my on-road handling. It isnt cheap but I beleive its the best kit for guys looking for serious 4WD quality and on-road manners.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:53 AM
Former Member

You will notice a difference from short arm to long arm kit. It was big difference when I swapped over to long arms on my 3" kit. Like I said it's not necessary but it will improve your ride.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:06 AM
JK Freak

TeraFlex fully adjustable arms are great! My 4.5" AEV dialed in quite nicely and rides wonderfully... I considered the long arms, but the price was more than I could cover. Let us know what you go with and include pictures!!
Old 06-08-2010, 02:02 PM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks

everyone I think I'm going to keep researching before I dive into this by my self I do like the fact the Tera Flex and Full-Traction Suspension are bolt on's and I do think I can do that.

Another thing I am concerned about is replacing the gears in both axles I really would like to run 35's.....

Quick Reply: Completely confused long arm short arm?