Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Completely confused long arm short arm?

Old 06-07-2010, 03:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Completely confused long arm short arm?

Hey everyone I have been looking for a lift for my jeep and decieded to scrap the body lift idea.
But now this opens a whole new set of questions..I know I want to run 33 or 35 inch tires and I think I would like around 2 to 4 inch's of lift it will be a daly driver and will see lots of sand at the beach along with some trails at the deer camp.
I will be replacing the front and rear bumpers with after market ones with a winch. maybe later on a roof rack and a onboard air system...So as I look at all of these type of lifts long arm short arm I really have no clue what I would need.
I would like to find a lift that I could do my self.. The local superlift shop here did a real number on my s-10 and while it looked good they never really addressed some of the issues of the lift
and it turned my s-10 ito a money pit...So I really would like to try and do it my self or find someone that has experiance with lift's that I can help and learn about my jeep the right way.

If anyone would be so kind as to help me with what seems like confusing decision would be great...

so far if I have read right if I want to run 35inch tires I would need to regear both front and rear axles to around 5.13...I have never done this before so I would assume I will be taking this to a shop witch again I really don't want to do...then there are air lockers I assume they go along with the new gears?

I believe my axles are 44 in the rear and 30 in the front...I have a 09 unlimted 4x4 four door..

in the end I want my jeep to be well MY JEEP I did the work I learned it I built it the way I want it.
But because I am a 3 week old jeep owner I need a whole lot of help....

I have read a lot of threads about lifts but I really have no clue...the only thing I do know is there is more jeep knowledge here in these thread's than I'll ever have..
Old 06-07-2010, 03:36 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by govzilla
Hey everyone I have been looking for a lift for my jeep and decieded to scrap the body lift idea.
But now this opens a whole new set of questions..I know I want to run 33 or 35 inch tires and I think I would like around 2 to 4 inch's of lift it will be a daly driver and will see lots of sand at the beach along with some trails at the deer camp.
I will be replacing the front and rear bumpers with after market ones with a winch. maybe later on a roof rack and a onboard air system...So as I look at all of these type of lifts long arm short arm I really have no clue what I would need.
I would like to find a lift that I could do my self.. The local superlift shop here did a real number on my s-10 and while it looked good they never really addressed some of the issues of the lift
and it turned my s-10 ito a money pit...So I really would like to try and do it my self or find someone that has experiance with lift's that I can help and learn about my jeep the right way.

If anyone would be so kind as to help me with what seems like confusing decision would be great...

so far if I have read right if I want to run 35inch tires I would need to regear both front and rear axles to around 5.13...I have never done this before so I would assume I will be taking this to a shop witch again I really don't want to do...then there are air lockers I assume they go along with the new gears?

I believe my axles are 44 in the rear and 30 in the front...I have a 09 unlimted 4x4 four door..

in the end I want my jeep to be well MY JEEP I did the work I learned it I built it the way I want it.
But because I am a 3 week old jeep owner I need a whole lot of help....

I have read a lot of threads about lifts but I really have no clue...the only thing I do know is there is more jeep knowledge here in these thread's than I'll ever have..
Take a look at this Long Arm vs. Short Arm review and see if it helps.
http://www.teraflex.biz/tech/faq/sho...r-tjs-and-jks/

Give me a call if you need more help.
Joe
1-888-837-2359 ext 308
Old 06-07-2010, 03:52 PM
JK Super Freak

i would say if you dont do any serious off roading you would be fine with a short arm lift if not just lower front control arms and upper rear control arms to set the caster of the pinion also 3 inches of lift would be plenty for 35s
Old 06-07-2010, 04:27 PM
JK Newbie

Default thanks

for the quick replies but there are question still need to be answered.
Thanks joe for the review but it really didnt help much. althought I have been looking at teraflex lifts..What are full flex arms? I was looking at the 3inch and 4 inch lifts with that option?
Old 06-07-2010, 05:43 PM
JK Freak

short arms are what the jeep has now

long arms make it so when you flex your axles that they dont twist in and out as much.. kind of like a skate board when you turn the axles bend twards the inside.

wether this bending during flex is a bad thing or not i dont know, but im sure someone can say for sure.

pick based on what you are going to do

hills, rocks go long arm

mud, sand dunes, go short

Last edited by warlord; 06-07-2010 at 05:56 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:02 AM
JK Super Freak

I wouldn't agree with this assessment. I think long arms are the better choice regardless of the terrain. However, for his needs, and for the small lift height, and the fact that he wants to do the lift himself, short arms may be a better choice. Just make sure you buy as complete a lift as you can afford.

If you are mechanically inclined and have money for the initial investment, long arms are the best way to go.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:25 AM
Former Member

Long arms are not really need until you go over 4" of lift, however it does make a very nice improvement on a 3" lift.

You can install our long arm kits at home, they are full bolt on kits, you need a cut off wheel and a grinder. As with all of our kits they are American steel and fabricated in bakersfield, Ca.

I can say I've been on the sand beaches with my JK, it handles the dips and holes, washboards awesome. I've went as fast as I could on the sandy trails in moab it did great

Please send me a pm if you have any questions, the link in my sig will take you to a very once complete short arm kit.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The local superlift shop here did a real number on my s-10 and while it looked good they never really addressed some of the issues of the lift
and it turned my s-10 ito a money pit.
Ain't that the truth? Reason No. 1 to do your work yourself.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:34 AM
JK Newbie

Hey there. I just posted a reply to guy on lifts and tires you may find useful. I'm a Jeep newbie in the middle of a 2010 Rubicon Unlimited build. I'm not a do-it yourselfer but I do all the research prior.

If this is your daily driver I recommend a 3-3.5" lift on 35's. See my other post for the specific reasons.

If your Jeep is a Rubicon then it has Dana 44 front and rear differentials with 4.10:1 gearing. The non-Rubicon models have the Dana 30 diffs with lower road gearing (3.21:1).

From my experience I can say that the stock 4.10:1 gearing with 35's is okay. You lose a ton of torque, but nobody drives a jeep to launch like a demon at a greenlight. Stick it in 4 Low and you're good.

If you're towing, thats a different story. You will need to change the gearing. Most people recommend 5.13:1 for 35's.

I have snowmobiles that I tow around and will have to make this change before the winter arrives.

Hope this helps. Feel free to email me if you have any questions or want pics. snowstorm.trooper@gmail.com
Old 06-08-2010, 07:42 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for the quick replies but there are question still need to be answered.
Thanks joe for the review but it really didnt help much. althought I have been looking at teraflex lifts..What are full flex arms? I was looking at the 3inch and 4 inch lifts with that option?
The Full Flex arm systems replace the factory control arms with adjustable control arms. You can run either the 3" or 4" with short arms or long arms. Long arms do improve ride quality and handling on/off road. All the arms have either rebuildable flex joints or clevite bushings for a nice quiet ride.

Quick Reply: Completely confused long arm short arm?