Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Complete Skid Plates System

Old 10-05-2011, 12:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im running them on mine. The auto trans skid does not offer complete protection. I was able to smash mine into my tranny pan which put a crease accross the entire thing as well as flatening out the skid. Apart from that my factory crossmember had been completly mangled in 3 years of wheeling. In that same ammount of time I had pounded the transfer case skid into the transfer case, and the 22 something gal. tank on my unlimited only ever fills to 16-17 gallons because the factory gas tank skid has been so badly beaten in.

The last straw was when I ripped my tranny skid off while hung up on a stump. It tore two of the bolts and welded in nuts right out of the frame and x-member.

I replaced my cross member with the one from full traction and got the river raider skids too. Had to modify both to get them to fit right because the full traction sits a tad lower than the factory because of the steeper angles at the ends of the FT X-member. But now instead of beating down on stuff and getting hung up, its much esier to glide over rocks and other obsticles.

The only thing ill caution you about with the river raiders are that the transmision skid, if you have an auto, is not wide enough to cleance the tranny pan. After wheeling once the leading edged of that skid made contact with the edgedes of my tranny oil pan. No leaks yet but I deffinatley need to either clearence the skid or make the taper of the plate about 1-2" wider at the x-member end.

I had emailed river raider about this and never got a response back from them. There is atleast one other forum member here that I wheel with that had this same problem.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:56 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 4LCKD10RUBIUNLTD
Is there contact with the diffslider & gas tank skid or evap skid?
I have the full set as well. I also have the Nth degree d44 diff skid. I had to cut about 1.5" off the inside corner of the tank skid. I think I still need to grind a tad bit off the front edge of the cut as it is still barely rubbing. I have an evap from skid row too. No modification needed there. None of the skids even get close to it as there are none on that side.

X2 on the trans pan for autos. It could do to be a bit wider and braced up a bit more maybe.

I will say this - I had issues with a set aluminum skids with plastic sliders from them. After one wheeling trip they were destroyed pretty much. I called, told them what was happening to the skids with moderate use. I wheel and slide over stuff but I dont get crazy, crazy. They gave me no hassle what so ever. They sent me out a whole new set of steel skids. No questions asked. Other then sending the old ones back.
That type of customer service has won me over. If they have something I want/need. I am getting it from river raider before I even look anywhere else!

Last edited by drunkenmugsy; 10-05-2011 at 05:32 AM.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sent: Wednesday, October 05, 2011 6:52 AM
To: Matti
Subject: Re: Enquiry Matti

Matti,

Thank you for your interest in our products. As far as the automatic transmission skid goes, we did find that after excessive abuse there was a possibility that the transmission skid could contact the automatic transmission. While there have never been any reports of puncturing the transmission case, we redesigned the transmission skid so that the edges of the skid are further from the case of the transmission. This problem has only been found in automatic JK's, and as I previously stated has been corrected. Please feel free to let others know that this problem has been corrected. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask. Thank you.

Sincerely,

--
Kenny Hauk
Owner of Hauk Designs
Home of River Raider Off Road

Last edited by wayoflife; 10-05-2011 at 05:58 AM.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:10 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

it's funny because, there was a time when jeeps didn't come with ANY skids and people used to complain to no end about how ridiculous this was and that jeep should do something about this - this is essentially what started the whole skid plate market. of course, jeep did listen and started to include skid plates (and i might add, really good ones) with all their newer wranglers but, so many people still "think" they need spend their money on something more or better to give them piece of mind. it all kind of cracks me up but hey, who am i to say how one should spend their hard earned money.

for 5 years now, i have been wheeling our white JK in stock form to what it is now and entirely with it's stock skid plates. maybe it's because i only go out 2-3 times a month and out to the mall but, i have yet to see one not do their job or fail. and, i can say this is true about ALL the JK's that come out to malls with me.

having said all that, i will be the first to say that i think the 2012 is a jeep is one that could benefit from some skids - mainly at the oil pan and transmission. the pans and even a cooler line are really exposed and, they could benefit from some good protection.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would say if you want bomb proof assurance, get some skids... RR are great skids... I have the auto and yes I did notice the skid made slight contact with the trany pan... A sledge hammer and a few minutes later, it can't touch it now. I got them because they are sliders where the factory can and have gotten stuck on things. For me it was the 40 lbs of ice I found dragging down the highway...
Old 10-05-2011, 07:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
it's funny because, there was a time when jeeps didn't come with ANY skids and people used to complain to no end about how ridiculous this was and that jeep should do something about this - this is essentially what started the whole skid plate market. of course, jeep did listen and started to include skid plates (and i might add, really good ones) with all their newer wranglers but, so many people still "think" they need spend their money on something more or better to give them piece of mind. it all kind of cracks me up but hey, who am i to say how one should spend their hard earned money.

for 5 years now, i have been wheeling our white JK in stock form to what it is now and entirely with it's stock skid plates. maybe it's because i only go out 2-3 times a month and out to the mall but, i have yet to see one not do their job or fail. and, i can say this is true about ALL the JK's that come out to malls with me.

having said all that, i will be the first to say that i think the 2012 is a jeep is one that could benefit from some skids - mainly at the oil pan and transmission. the pans and even a cooler line are really exposed and, they could benefit from some good protection.
In regards to armoring up, what armor do you think is worthwhile to add onto the underbody, for someone who plans on doing light to moderate offroading? Every time I look under the jeep i feel like the diff's could use some armor, same with the oil pan and the steering assembly, but I don't know if I'm just being paranoid.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:34 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by wmphoto
I would say if you want bomb proof assurance, get some skids... RR are great skids... I have the auto and yes I did notice the skid made slight contact with the trany pan... A sledge hammer and a few minutes later, it can't touch it now. I got them because they are sliders where the factory can and have gotten stuck on things. For me it was the 40 lbs of ice I found dragging down the highway...
yeah, maybe the trails we have out here in the west just aren't as hard as what you guys have back east. at least, i've never felt the need for bomb proof assuance before. also, i don't know if my factory skids have ever held me up or gotten me stuck but, as i said, maybe the trails i play on aren't as hard as what you get to play on.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:37 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by sneck
In regards to armoring up, what armor do you think is worthwhile to add onto the underbody, for someone who plans on doing light to moderate offroading? Every time I look under the jeep i feel like the diff's could use some armor, same with the oil pan and the steering assembly, but I don't know if I'm just being paranoid.
the oil pan has no armor and so, i typically recommend that you install something basic like a rancho skid. it's cheap, easy to install and really, all you need. if you're still stockish in height, relocating your evap is a nice way to keep it from getting knocked off but, even if you do, it's not that big of a deal. if you have a 2012, a skid for the oil pan and tranny would be what i would recommend as they are exposed. aside from that, you should be fine with what you got and for the kind of wheeling you do.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about front control arm skids?

It seems like that should be protected. Any while we are at it bolt on or weld on?
Old 10-05-2011, 07:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Im checking out the Rock Hards seems pretty much cover the tranny pan

Quick Reply: Complete Skid Plates System