Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Compare/contrast lockers

Old 11-19-2014, 10:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dahmer
Synthetic oil should not cause a problem when eaton says use what the manufacturer recommends and jeep stamps Synthetic only on the stock diff cover.
It clearly states on the FAQ that the use of synthetics is not recommended
Old 11-19-2014, 11:29 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Copied this straight from the trutrac owners manual. Yes the one with gears not clutches.
Good catch. That manual says Tractec Inc, though. My guess is that Eaton just hasn't bothered to update it to their current policy since they bought that company 10 years ago or whenever. Might be worth a call for anyone considering a truetrac purchase just for peace of mind.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TJM12
It clearly states on the FAQ that the use of synthetics is not recommended
It also clearly states in the owners manual they publish and send with the lockers use OEM fluid no special additives required which a lot of times is synthetic. I have one in a mustang I bought a year ago and is the same as on the website. Maybe they should do some updating and people wouldn't have a problem. I'm not going to go dig around on a website when the owners manual says it's fine. I'm not saying it's a bad product again I own one they just need to clarify the product requirements. If it's 38s and conventional oil that's cool with me just put it in the owners manual you send with the product and publish online.

Back to the topic at hand all the lockers mentioned here are good products find one that meets your needs. They all have pros and cons. In my opinion a selectable locker with a warranty that covers your particular setup is the best way to go if budget allows. Contact the manufacture to make sure your covered before you buy anything or you could be out thousands if it fails. My zip locker for example covers my setup if the locker fails and $2000 dollars in other damage that its failure may have caused. That's great other than I cant run 37s.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:06 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

My zip locker for example covers my setup if the locker fails and $2000 dollars in other damage that its failure may have caused. That's great other than I cant run 37s.
It also has the option to extend the normal warranty to lifetime coverage for the original owner. I was told $50 extra, a few people have reported it was free. Not a bad deal.

Quick Reply: Compare/contrast lockers