Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Compare/contrast lockers

Old 11-18-2014, 07:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
The cost depends on which add-ons you go for. Quadratec lists it as 860 for the d30 locker+diff cover, plus 90 for the shift actuator, plus 26 for the key to be able to unlock it if the cable breaks, plus 110 for the air actuation system (which would also need an air source) or 160 for the electric actuation system, plus, plus ...

For a front d30, a $390 truetrac might make a lot more sense. Or even a pair, 390 front and 415 rear = less than a single selectable locker...
Thank you for explaining all this. I've been considering a pair of those as well, but don't know much about them. Off to do more research...
Old 11-18-2014, 08:15 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

More research is always a good call...

No experience with the OX, but a lot of people like them, and a lot of others seem to have issues with the cable, needing to adjust/re-adjust it quite a bit to get the locker to work. Haven't heard of any problems with the air or electric portions, just the cable itself.

Multiple actuation methods is a nice bonus, and being able to lock/unlock if or when the cable decides to not work or the air compressor fails is also nice.

Just depends on the budget, actual needs/usage, and of course personal opinion.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Eaton trutracs are only recommended for up to 32s and is just an lsd 60% lock. They will not warranty failure for oversize tires lots of people with stock tires have even been denied warranty. I actually have one in a mustang and that's where I prefer to keep it.

My problem with non selectable and yes I have one as well as a selectable is when you are off roading and get bound up something is going to give. With a selectable you can turn it off and reposition usually. The front is the worst you can have quite a time trying to turn the tires when you get bound up and are locked.

The ox locker includes a diff cover at $859 and the only other thing you would need for the locker is the actuator 130-160. The cable is only for the cable actuator and not required for the air or electric. If you get air or electric you must have previsions for that. With air you get so much more, being able to air up tires is so nice and running my impact on the trail is boss. So your at $1000 an axle which is still in the ballpark of the others in that realm and it's the only one with a backup method and a diff cover.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Dahmer
Eaton trutracs are only recommended for up to 32s and is just an lsd 60% lock. They will not warranty failure for oversize tires lots of people with stock tires have even been denied warranty. I actually have one in a mustang and that's where I prefer to keep it.

My problem with non selectable and yes I have one as well as a selectable is when you are off roading and get bound up something is going to give. With a selectable you can turn it off and reposition usually. The front is the worst you can have quite a time trying to turn the tires when you get bound up and are locked.

The ox locker includes a diff cover at $859 and the only other thing you would need for the locker is the actuator 130-160. The cable is only for the cable actuator and not required for the air or electric. If you get air or electric you must have previsions for that. With air you get so much more, being able to air up tires is so nice and running my impact on the trail is boss. So your at $1000 an axle which is still in the ballpark of the others in that realm and it's the only one with a backup method and a diff cover.
Not to hijack a thread, and if I am, I'll just move this elsewhere. But I was thinking about running a LSD up front but I have 35's not 32's. I've got a 15 lbs Instant Air Supply tank that should arriving any day now. So I have the means for supplying air for an air locker, but in your opinion, would you stay away from a Detroit in the rear and an LSD up front?
Old 11-18-2014, 11:38 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Dahmer
Are you sure you are thinking about the gear-driven Truetrac, and not one of the clutch-based limiteds?

38's, not 32's.
FAQ for Differentials

Your warranty denial claim seems to be the complete opposite of what the folks at dynatrac have stated, which I believe was based on the thousands of units they have sold over the years.

Found one:
Originally Posted by Dynatrac
Truetracs are a product that has nearly zero issues with warranty. I have (literally) sold thousands of these diffs and they are great for moderate off road use. When I have received calls about questions with anything, I always ask if the owner is using synthetic gear lube. In almost every case, synthetics were used. I'm sure many have used Truetracs with synthetics and not had issues, but, almost without exception, customers with concerns about the performance of their Truetracs were running synthetics.
There have been quite a few threads on the truetrac, with very, very favorable reviews from pretty much everyone. I ran one up front for over 10 years, and replaced an exploded rear detroit with a second truetrac at year 6. Zero issues with them on 37's.

Last edited by nthinuf; 11-18-2014 at 11:52 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Are you sure you are thinking about the gear-driven Truetrac, and not one of the clutch-based limiteds?

38's, not 32's.
FAQ for Differentials

Your warranty denial claim seems to be the complete opposite of what the folks at dynatrac have stated, which I believe was based on the thousands of units they have sold over the years.

Found one:

There have been quite a few threads on the truetrac, with very, very favorable reviews from pretty much everyone. I ran one up front for over 10 years, and replaced an exploded rear detroit with a second truetrac at year 6. Zero issues with them on 37's.
Like I said, I'm going to keep looking into it. Haven't set aside enough in the play funds for either option as of now, but thinking about two LSDs and if I can't make it with that, winch through. Thanks
Old 11-19-2014, 02:26 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Lol, that one was a reply to dahmers comments. I am running a pair of air lockers now, so don't let me talk you into a truetrac if you really want a selectable. Just spewing some info and options.

And actually, I think that if I were in the market for selectables again, I might lean more toward eatons new d44 e-lockers instead of air.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm actually leaning towards a 35 spline ARB in the back and the new eaton 4 pinion locker in the front. I want the rear 35 spline, but I also think having the front Electric keeps me out of trouble incase I have a compressor issue or an airline go down. Atleast it seems like a good idea to me.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Copied this straight from the trutrac owners manual. Yes the one with gears not clutches.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-601897812.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	584932  
Old 11-19-2014, 10:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Synthetic oil should not cause a problem when eaton says use what the manufacturer recommends and jeep stamps Synthetic only on the stock diff cover.

Quick Reply: Compare/contrast lockers