Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Which Company/Kit uses fixed-length control arms?

Old 09-18-2014, 06:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Company/Kit uses fixed-length control arms?

I've had some difficulty with the shop I used regarding the alignment of my RK X-Factor kit, mostly in that after they aligned the Jeep and sent it out the door they didn't properly torque and Loctite jam nuts. Once I got it back, I carefully removed each control arm and torqued each jam nut with Loctite. I'm worried the 'margin' or 'slop' contained in the control arm mounting bolts could be causing my vehicle to pull to the right. If all of the arms are the same length as they were when the Jeep was aligned, shouldn't the shop be able to loosen the mounting hardware and make adjustments with a prybar or even a dead-blow mallet?

This got me thinking, I could forego this whole process by using control arms that are fixed length, or non-adjustable to prevent the issue of removal for torque/loctite. If it works on a stock JK, why wouldn't it work on a lifted JK?

Can anyone list a few companies that make fixed-length control arms that will correct caster angles on lifted JKs?
Old 09-18-2014, 06:38 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Synergy, rough country, or you could simply have some built to the length you want with the joints of your choice. Caster adjustment and pinion angles are height dependent and should you ever change that height the fixed arms would be off a bit. Control arms should not be the exact same length. The passenger side should be slightly longer to compensate for the crown in the road which will cause a vehicle to track to the right.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:46 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No need for loctite. To fix the slop in the bolts, upgrade to 9/16" shouldered bolts.

The problem with fixed length, as Dirtman pointed out, is that your vehicle height can and will change (add weight, coils could sag, you swap coils, etc).
Old 09-18-2014, 06:50 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
No need for loctite. To fix the slop in the bolts, upgrade to 9/16" shouldered bolts.

The problem with fixed length, as Dirtman pointed out, is that your vehicle height can and will change (add weight, coils could sag, you swap coils, etc).
Great info on the 9/16" shouldered bolts. I'm going to go buy a set. If you happen to know the length dimension, it would save me a trip home to measure.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:56 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

9/16" diameter. 3.5" long fine thread. Grade 8. This is not a popular size and will not find it at a hardware or home improvement store so don't waste your time looking there. Go to a dedicated bolt store like Fastenal which may still have to order them. You can also just order them on line from several bolt companies.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:18 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Northridge also sells a complete bolt kit for around $40.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:27 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Northridge also sells a complete bolt kit for around $40.
I was just getting ready to post the link. Northridge 4X4 Jeep JK Grade 8 Hardware kit - Hardware - Component Parts - Suspension
Old 09-18-2014, 08:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Control arms should not be the exact same length. The passenger side should be slightly longer to compensate for the crown in the road which will cause a vehicle to track to the right.
I never thought about this. That's a very interesting point. Any recommendations as to how much longer? A few millimeters or a centimeter maybe?
Old 09-18-2014, 01:36 PM
JK Newbie

Per the tech line, recently shipped RK kits come with 9/16" bushings already in the joints eliminating the need to ream holes.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:20 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Krawlersaur
I never thought about this. That's a very interesting point. Any recommendations as to how much longer? A few millimeters or a centimeter maybe?
I would say just a few millimeters

Quick Reply: Which Company/Kit uses fixed-length control arms?