Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Companies Pushing Dual Rate Coils

Old 03-10-2016, 08:45 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Companies Pushing Dual Rate Coils

Strongly considering upgrading my springs.

I have a nearly 5 year old set of Tera 2.5" springs.
Still holding great but looking a bit rough. Peeling and a bit rusty is par for the course over the years.

I have been going back and forth on what springs to buy.

1. I will be going larger tires in the future, 35s now.
2. I need no other parts, everything else is already there.
3. I am armored, with winch and such. From what I can tell this shouldn't matter.

Anybody running these types of springs feel free to chime in with any and all opinions. Besides the one that involves this being the gazillionth lift thread, and me being an idiot.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the AEV 2.5 inch kit, the coils ride very nice unloaded, and they handle weight and ride well fully loaded with food/water/fuel/camping gear etc for 2 people out for up to a week without resupply. I'm very happy with them. With pretty much all 4 of my Jeeps I always had to play with coils to get them to ride good unloaded and ride good without sagging like crazy under loads. I had a set of AEV coils on my TJ they were great so when it was time for a lift for the JKU I went with AEV again. I like them a lot and would do it again.

Over the years/Jeeps I've run the following coils:

Pro Comp TJ 2 inch

OME TJ 2 inch of various spring rates from Medium Duty and Heavu Duty to running an LJ rear spring on a TJ

Teraflex TJ 3 inch

Went from 14/26 springs to 16/29 on my JK with 3/4 inch spacers then 1.75 inch spacers.

AEV TJ 3 inch

AEV JKU 2.5 inch

I think the multi rate coils are the way to go. I don't have any experience with Metal Cloak or RockKrawler but I'm sure the results would be similar my experience with the AEV coils.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:28 AM
JK Junkie

A true dual rate should handle no different then a linear rate. The upper rate is collapsed at ride height and extends to keep the coil seated. MC and i believe AEV are dual rate coils.n
RK's coils have 3 rates, a dead (stacked) rate, a softer ride rate and a firmer rate deeper in the coils cycle. RK, Synergy are multi rate coils. TF, EVO linear.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:40 AM
JK Super Freak

You should be able to squeeze out an inch or two more of flex with the right shock.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

What is your actual (measured) lift? If you're headed toward 37s, are you thinking about going with 3.5" instead?

I just switched from 2.5" RK (progressive front / linear rear) to RK 3.5" triple rate, all else remained the same. There is a significant difference in the unsprung height between the two (around 6 inches). That said, I got 3 1/8" measured lift. (my JKU is heavy). I no longer have coils that unseat and the ride feels a bit softer.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:06 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AEV's are triple rated coils. They were the first to come out with them for the JK platform. I'm currently on the 2.5 setup. It's a good setup. Get front lower control arms and it's a done deal or get the correction brackets if you don't plan to wheel much.

Some people complain about the ride of the Bilstein's. Riding on KM2's, I didn't mind it. Now that I also have a set of KO2's on another set of wheels that I'm now using for daily driving, all I can say is wow. I'm very impressed with the ride/handling now not that the MT/mud setup was bad. AEV is more setup for overlanding but the 2.5 did well at the Rubicon on 35s.

I would definitely go for a triple rated coil with whichever brand you decide to go with.

The only thing I'm planning to upgrade to / would upgrade to from the current AEV setup is ORI all around and that will come at a premium.

btw - 2 door, full skids, front/rear diff skids, front steel bumper + winch + hi-lift jack, steel sliders, aluminum rear bumper, aluminum tire carrier, on beadlocked 37's.......rides/drives great. It gets loaded up to the max on the weekends regularly hauling gear. +70k miles. I'd say 55k of those were with the AEV installed. If it only had a hemi/LS/supercharger....

Only thing is that I don't think AEV sells the triple-rated coils by themselves.

Last edited by DJ1; 03-10-2016 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have zine single rate springs and my ride sucks. I just bought synergy triple rate/progressive springs thru Offroad elements thru the forum. They gave me a good discount off retail. I talked to eric there. You can PM or call. They also offer rock crawler also a triple rate spring.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

I run MC springs. Only advantage dual rate have is longer free length to keep the spring seated when running longer shocks.

Lot of misinformation in here. Call and talk to the vendors you are considering direct.

Synergy are either progressive or linear depending on lift height.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by TxJeepers
I run MC springs. Only advantage dual rate have is longer free length to keep the spring seated when running longer shocks.

Lot of misinformation in here. Call and talk to the vendors you are considering direct.

Synergy are either progressive or linear depending on lift height.
So what, specifically, is misinformation?
Old 03-10-2016, 03:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TxJeepers
I run MC springs. Only advantage dual rate have is longer free length to keep the spring seated when running longer shocks. Lot of misinformation in here. Call and talk to the vendors you are considering direct. Synergy are either progressive or linear depending on lift height.
I have talked to all the makers and many distributors and they all said the ride it much better with triple rate and progressive springs vs a single rate.

Quick Reply: Companies Pushing Dual Rate Coils