Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Comment on my build

Old 07-16-2012, 01:40 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like every thing but the wheels(personally prefer the Pintlers) and the AEV lift. Lots of just as good or better lifts at more economical price. I will agree that the AEV Procal is a MUST!
Old 08-03-2012, 12:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Changes after reading reviews

Great Forum. I have done a lot of research by reading the comments and even added to the listing of my build. I also brought some items home on the recent trip to the USA

Already installed:
AntennX 13" - (works well)
Hothead headliner - installed today -will comment in a few weeks
Rugged Ridge floor mats -

Received but not installed
AEV Black Savegre wheels - only 3 brought back so need to get another trip
JW Speaker LED headlights
Star fab smart doors
Gorrilla lug nuts

Ordered
LoD Rock Sliders
DirtyDog sunshade 2 piece, Spider Netting

Still looking into
Lift - Mopar 3" will not void my warranty (per Russian dealer) all others will
Bumpers - LoD or AEV if buy in US or ARB if purchase here - depends on being able to get them on a plane!!
Grill guard - build or buy?

This is quite slow as I must buy and bring each time I go to the USA
Old 08-03-2012, 01:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

You can have the PS rear with a AEV wheel you just need to let them know when you order it you have AEV wheels.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	599629_473948605948980_711662705_n.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	348952  
Old 08-03-2012, 06:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds like a good build. You must get some expensive shipping rates from all U.S.A parts
Old 08-07-2012, 10:58 PM
JK Newbie

Default What am I missing??

Originally Posted by 2acrawl
Sounds like a good build. You must get some expensive shipping rates from all U.S.A parts
I take everything I can on the plane with me thus have shipping only to the hotel in the US (and many companies do not charge shipping in the lower 48). I am limited in size and weight for the Luggage thus I need to plan and find out the sizes and weights of everything.

Now for my question

I am ordering the Mopar 3" lift kit for my trip in Sept to NY. I will also get my last AEV Savegre wheel. (also getting my LoD Sliders .... looking forward to that!!)
I will then buy the KM2's, install the sliders and get the Jeep dealer to install the lift (then the warranty will remain).

I have two questions
1) The Rubicon sliders that are on there - do you need to remove them to put on the LoD Sliders? I would guess that the answer is yes.
2) Am I missing anything that I need to pick up to get this working here in Russia. The lift and the wheels will allow me to get installed and start driving? Or should I be thinking of installing something else (and thus picking it up while in NY?)

I am thinking about things like the AFE Y pipe -- will I need it now? or with this set up?

Any assistance is appreciated
Old 08-08-2012, 03:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

The tires and lift look solid. Im about to sell my smittybilt rear bumper and get either the Evo or the genright with d rings below that. You might want to reconsider the full width front bumper as it may look odd if you ever get flat fenders.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:38 AM
JK Newbie

I'm not sure if everyone caught the fact you're running the Diesel......haven't heard of anyone regearing a CRD.

Did you have an opportunity to drive a gas JKU before deciding in the diesel? What were your inpressions?
Old 08-08-2012, 09:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your usage is going to be 50% offroad, I would absolutely consider going with a different lift. Only you know how hard you are going to be on your jeep. If you are going to push it, get something that doesnt use a bracket.

if you are going to go light offroad then look at Rancho 4in Sport lift. It too uses brackets but they are almost twice as thick as the one AEV gives you. In my opinion, and im sure others will agree, a bracket is the weakest part of a lift. The Rancho 4in sport is almost half the price of the AEV.

If you are going to go hard, then look for a complete 8 control arm system. There are many out there that are close to the AEV price.

GEARS,

The 2012 has different gear requirements than the 07-11. I have a 2012 Rubicon on 35s with 4:10 gears. Its fine for the highway but it will be torgue weak on the trails and mud. Those of us who have 2012 on 35s usually look at going with 4:56 gears. Going with 4:56 gears on a 35in lift is the same as an unlifted 2012 with 4:10's. Its also worth noting that the 2012 with 4:10's with 35s is the same as 3:73's with stock tires.
Go with the 4:56s.

Last edited by powrsurg; 08-08-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:59 PM
JK Newbie

Default a few answers

I am not getting the AEV lift. I am gettting the Mopar 3" lift. It is a question of the waranty. I also do not want to go to a 4" lift as that gives me many other changes that will need to be done. The 3" sounds like enough.
I am a light offroad driver. I go on back trails and offroad through streams and climb hills etc... I am not into Rock climbing. It is more a day of off-roading and camping.

I have a 2011 Sahara JKU in Canada (it is not the Pentastar) and the 2012 CRD Rubicon in Russia so I can compare and contract them.
The Diesel is noisy, but you get used to it and don't notice until you drive the gas again. I have the HotHead Headliners now and that helps.
When I go with friends for the weekend they are needing to fill up at around 500 KM's or 300 miles and I can go for 675 km's or 400 miles without filling up. Basically getting 33% more than they are in MPG
I find that the climbing ability in 4L is so much better in the Diesel (although that could also be the Rubicon vs the Sahara.) The Rubicon downhill and swaybar disconnect and axel buttons really make down hill on uneven terrain easy.
The one point I have been warned about is that when the temp gets to -20C (-4F) that I may have problems with the diesel freezing. We tend to get temps in the winter to -32C (-25F) here in Russia.

Two weekends ago I was on a 2 day trip with 10 Jeeps. 2 CRD JKU's, 1 Gas JK, 2 Grand Cherokees, 2 Cherokees, 1 Compass, 2 Liberties. Except for the JK and JKU's all suffered damage and got stuck.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know much about the Russian warranty industry. I'm in the warranty industry in the us. The lift would not comp,etely void the warranty here in the states, just related parts. The mopar lift is just another lift rebranded. I think the mopar lift is nothing more than the terraflex rebranded. Other should probably verify.

Climbing is better in the diesel because the diesel produces so much more torgue. Torgue is what truck owners want, not horsepower.

I would love to go wheeling in Russia. That would be such a cool vacation.

Quick Reply: Comment on my build