Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Comment on my build

Old 07-12-2012, 09:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Comment on my build

2012 JKU Rubicon auto, Diesel (in Europe)

I am looking to get my build started and want to hear your views on my choices as of today. I do want 35 " tires

Pretty much set on

Wheels - Black Savegre AEV wheels
BFG KM2's
AEV 3.5 lift (SC)
EVO Rock Sliders
EVO Rock skins
EVO Protek Skid system

Still deciding on

Rear bumper - question #1
EVO rear tire carrier with EVO rear rock skin corners ( anyone use this and can say if it is easy to open the tailgate)? Probably use an ARB bumper.
or AEV bumper with rear tire carrier and corner guards
Wanted the Poison Spyder but does not fit the AEV wheels

Front Bumper question #2
AEV premium bumper or
ARB bumper

Usage will be for 50% on-road and 50% off-road - mostly wheeling in the snow and mud and on trails with a local club

Any comments?

Thanks
Old 07-12-2012, 01:06 PM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I got a 4" Rancho long arm suspension lift with 37X12.50R18 BFG KM2 tires... Good choice on tires cuz with the 3.5 35s will fit fine... The bumpers... Google LOD BUMPERS get theirs front and rear... Arb front bumper too big and if u wanna get bigger tires they probably won't fit... Get a stubby bumper... Don't forget to change gear ratios with bigger tires 4:56 or higher I'd say
Old 07-14-2012, 12:44 PM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your chosen lift is a good choice. From what I've seen. AEV does their homework when making a product. i don't have their lift, but i do run their snorkel and pro cal and i haven't been disappointed. my only concern with their lift is the use of CAM bolts. i'd much prefer adjustable control arms. i feel you'd get better adjustability and the odds of them loosening and misaligning are zero. Wheel choice is also a great one. i had my eyes on the savegre but they only come in 17" and tires for that rim size is a little to much for me. All the EVO stuff you mentioned are also great mods but, i don't know about the skid sys you want. although it adds protection to your drive train components. it also adds weight to your rig. you mentioned that you'll be wheeling snow, mud and trails. But if rocks are not in the picture then i'd stick with the stock skids. Like jersey_devil mentioned your front bumper choices will probably be an issue if you ever decide to go bigger than 35's. you wouldn't run into that problem with a stubby. there's plenty on the market or you could always build your own. now for the rear bumper options i feel like theres a problem. with AEV you get a bumper and tire carrier. with EVO. its just a tire carrier. if you want simplicity than i'd go with the AEV rear bumper/tire carrier. the tail gate and tire carrier will open as one. so theres no hassle with first swinging your tire carrier open just to get to your tail gate. IMPO just get a simple rear bumper without a tire carrier. save on the price tag and the added weight to your rig. plus i like the look of running no spare. Now your options for corner guards i'd have to go with the AEV's. from what i have heard. they fit the body like a glove. in all your chosen options are all good ones. best of luck to your build.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

excellent set up you have planned, all reputable manufacturers! I guess that you're focused on "doing the job right the first time!".
Old 07-14-2012, 05:15 PM
JK Jedi

Im going to chime in on a few things and I will preface it by saying that I think AEV makes great stuff. However, if I it were me, and it was with my 12 JKUR, I would go in a different direction with the lift. There are many other lifts that are jsut as nice and are alot cheaper. You can also customize these lifts to include the components you want and not the ones you dont.

Bumpers and skins and corner guards are all preference. All bumpers work with 35s, not all work with 37s. I ahve an LOD midwidth and am fine with my 37s.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO REGEAR A 12 WITH 4.10s ON 35s. I AM NOT REGEARING MY 4.1Os ON 37s AND DO NOT NEED TO.

All this said, everything you have listed will be great. I just think that by looking at cost and comparability on some of the options, you may be able to cut some cost in some places to add some components you really need, like LCAs, a winch, or some AUX lights
Old 07-15-2012, 03:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I second with the re-gearing. I'm doing good with the 4.10 on 37's. But it really depends on your geographical location and if you feel the need to have the extra power when you step on the pedal.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:56 PM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks for comments

Thanks for the advice.

I think I will go with the AEV rear bumper and corner guards rather than the EVO plus. I do use the back so I need access.

I need more research on the front bumper. I would not be allowed to drive on the road with a Stubby bumper.
The skid plates are worth the extra weight.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Solid choices all the way around! I just took delivery of a 2012 and went with the AEV rear bumper/tire carrier. It opens with the gate so it's easy. I have the 3.5"sc lift on my 2dr and have driven over 15000km with no complaints. You will enjoy this build. I would choose the AEV front bumper, it has better lines that match the jeep.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Solid choices all the way around! I just took delivery of a 2012 and went with the AEV rear bumper/tire carrier. It opens with the gate so it's easy. I have the 3.5"sc lift on my 2dr and have driven over 15000km with no complaints. You will enjoy this build. I would choose the AEV front bumper, it has better lines that match the jeep.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For the money you can buy a much better lift than the aev and their dodgy brackets...

I'm with everyone else on the NO NEED TO REGEAR...since you're on an AEV kick, do yourself a favor an buy the ProCal...will do wonders. I'm not a huge fan of AEV but, love the ProCal.

Call me partial but, I would go with EVO parts over most other manufacturers that make a similar product, like the corner guards. EVO makes real protection for people who use their Jeeps.

Quick Reply: Comment on my build