Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Comment on Cooper DISCOVERER STT LT tire good or bad

Old 12-26-2009, 10:55 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Toyo's are much tougher tire specially on the sidewalls and they are also heavier.

I have owned the Cooper STTs and they are a good value.

I liked the STTs ,but when they were aired down, the lugs that wrap around the sidewall prevented the sidewall from flexing normally.

The sidewall portion that did flex stuck out too much and got torn up even in rocky desert sand.

They were noisier on the road than my KM2s, but dare I say they might have been a better in cutting through soft mud on the surface to get to the solid ground below.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:33 AM
ksk
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuka
err, define "Big Boys"...

As I recall, TeraFlex runs STT's on their own JK. Also, all MT tires and made by Cooper
Wayoflife, Evolution, Camp Crocker ,white widow, Shon, all the Arizona boyz just to mention a few...

MTZ might be made by Cooper but they dont use the same compound/materials and go by Mickeys Thompsons patented tread designs....so its not the same tyre...

If u want a great wearing tyre, id go the KM2's or any BFG..although it looks ill easily do 100K on the MTZ's i got on now..and ill probably get the same tyres when these wear out..jmho once again..

KSK
Old 08-15-2010, 12:50 PM
JK Newbie

Can someone tell me how do the STT's run on wet roads, and snow covered roads?? And when it's cold? I'm planning to get these tires, but my biggest problem are wet roads during winter.. Many tires can't handle cold wet roads, especially in turns.. Does anyone have any experience with this.. any help would be great, thanks! I'm from Croatia, and my English isn't very good, so it would be very helpful if you could explain this in the simplest way.. Thanks..
Old 08-15-2010, 02:43 PM
JK Newbie

Default Comment on Cooper DISCOVERER STT LT tire good or bad

I have 35-12.5-17s on my Jeep and I love them! Not to loud on the highway and do really good in the mud. We have a lot of creek beds around where I live that we play in and they have been awesome. I would definitely buy them again.

I have not had them but for a few months. We had a lot of rain back in June and I didn't seem to have any issues on the road?
Old 08-15-2010, 02:56 PM
JK Freak

I got a set of 315/75R16's that have over 20K+ miles. They are great! If they made these in the bigger sizes I'd run them too. They do chunk, but so did my MT/R's and IROKs. Any tire will chunk when you air down and run the sharp rocks....

Buy American! SST is a great buy and has the "Armor-Tek" sidewall construction that you see on other brands... I wish Cooper would move into the 365/75R16, 38X14.5R17 market....
Old 08-16-2010, 04:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rsrekais
Can someone tell me how do the STT's run on wet roads, and snow covered roads?? And when it's cold? I'm planning to get these tires, but my biggest problem are wet roads during winter.. Many tires can't handle cold wet roads, especially in turns.. Does anyone have any experience with this.. any help would be great, thanks! I'm from Croatia, and my English isn't very good, so it would be very helpful if you could explain this in the simplest way.. Thanks..
I'm running the STT in 35x12.50x17. They do great. I've driven in the snow several times and the rain a lot with these tires. I've got 15,000 miles on this set and the tread still looks new.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:19 AM
JK Junkie

Well, they are not as good as a dedicated snow tire, or a tire designed for the rain. However they do have some sipes, and do well for a mud tire. The rubber compound a bit harder than some, so if you get into the -20C temps on a regular basis, you may want to look for a tire with a softer compound.

But I have run them before, and been happy with them. I think my current S/T's do better in rain and snow than the STT however.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:27 AM
JK Newbie

OK, thanks for the info.. Can someone tell me what does ''chunk'' mean??
Old 08-18-2010, 05:19 AM
JK Junkie

OK, thanks for the info.. Can someone tell me what does ''chunk'' mean??
It typically refers (when talking about tires) to pieces of rubber being torn off from going over sharp rocks and such. Softer compound tires are worse about this than harder compounds typically. If you drive on lots of gravel roads, this can also happen. And cooper actually has a special version of the S/T (Not the STT though) designed for being driven on gravel all the time. It has a different chip resistant compound. Its called the S/T-C.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

im running 37x1250r17
stt's and i have no complaints, very solid tire, they havent chunked at all and ive wheeled the shit out of them, they are the same tread pattern as the toyo's without the weight, i highly suggest them also i found the 37s at 258$ a tire so thats not bad either.
heres a pic of me flexing them and rubbing 2k2's head

Quick Reply: Comment on Cooper DISCOVERER STT LT tire good or bad