Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Comment on Cooper DISCOVERER STT LT tire good or bad

Old 11-29-2009, 02:57 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by absoluttorque
Great pictures, those tires do look great, I am looking at getting the 35s. You say they are good in the snow, anyone have any closeups? I would like to see how much siping there is on the treads.

Glad I found this thread, I've been lost on which tires to get.
There is not much siping....but get it done at a tire shop for about $20-25/tire, this will help with the snow and ice!
Old 12-01-2009, 12:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard if you have it done aftermarket and you head to the rocks the tires do chunk pretty bad on most tires
Old 12-01-2009, 12:17 PM
ksk
JK Enthusiast

Got a friend with the exact same setup as me..he runs Cooper STT's i run Mickey Thompson MTZ's....basically i went where he couldnt go just because of the tyres...they are shit compared to the MTZ's..do yourself a favour and give these tyres a miss..jmho

KSK
Old 12-01-2009, 01:38 PM
JK Junkie

I have run both MTZs and the STTs and I prefer the MTZs, actually they are one of my favorite tires, but they are pricey.

The Cooper's are a good mud tire, have long wear and a good value. My main complaint is that their manufacturing control is not as good as others like Goodyear, Mickey Tompson and BFG, so they usually require significantly more weight to balance them.

I still think the Cooper's provide a lot of bang for the buck.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:42 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by ksk
Got a friend with the exact same setup as me..he runs Cooper STT's i run Mickey Thompson MTZ's....basically i went where he couldnt go just because of the tyres...they are shit compared to the MTZ's..do yourself a favour and give these tyres a miss..jmho

KSK

Ran MTZ...not impressed...

STT's out perform the MTZ's in the rocks and STT's are just as good in the mud and snow if not better! MTZ were horrible for chunking lugs and my STT's still have not chunked! MTZ's were pretty lousy for wear...MTZ's lasted me 30K Kilometers horrible!! Currrent STT's have over 40K kilometers and have over 1/2 tread left!
Old 12-02-2009, 07:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

with all the tires ive read reviews on i must say most are 6 in one half a dozen the other. to each his own. one mans trash is another mans treasure haha
just dont buy the procomp xtreme mudders
Old 12-02-2009, 07:55 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pic of Coopers with 30,000m on them, they still have the sipes, great tire imo. I have toyo's now, the coopers definately rode better on road.

Click image for larger version

Name:	001 (2).jpg
Views:	578
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	33626
Old 12-02-2009, 09:12 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by spinlock
I have run both MTZs and the STTs and I prefer the MTZs, actually they are one of my favorite tires, but they are pricey.

The Cooper's are a good mud tire, have long wear and a good value. My main complaint is that their manufacturing control is not as good as others like Goodyear, Mickey Tompson and BFG, so they usually require significantly more weight to balance them.

I still think the Cooper's provide a lot of bang for the buck.

Are you aware that Mickey Thompson's are made by Cooper? And that the tires are actually almost identical (They use the same carcass)? The only difference is the MT has a slightly softer rubber compound.

As for balancing them, I have never had any excessive amount of weight put on any of them. That goes for both car and truck tires that I have run.

Last edited by Stuka; 12-02-2009 at 09:16 AM.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:42 AM
JK Junkie

I've heard the MTZs don't wear well either. I've heard the KM2s perform well in the snow and ok on ice, but very well offroad. They cost a lot more, but I think I may go with them, a lot of people use and love them.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:04 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

not the best shot, but shows the tread ok..

a little better maybe...

somwhere's around 17-18k on them, if i scrubbed them up they would look nearly new. corners of tread blocks are slightly rounded bu they have a TON of life left on them. I will more than likely replace them with the same size (these happen to be 33x12.5's) or 35's.. i keep going back and forth on what size i want.

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 12-02-2009 at 10:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Comment on Cooper DISCOVERER STT LT tire good or bad