Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

COMING BACK TO YOU..... Brand NEW 2016 rubicon build.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
If you ant to run mc joints, I would just run their arms, I doubt you are going to be out rock bouncing your jeep. All you are really adding to your jeep with RK arms is extra weight. Looks like you are just throwing out a bunch of names without really thinking about the build as a whole. Sure you can add longer coils or add a spacer over time if you wish. Will the shocks match up to the height? Maybe maybe not. Most people don't really set things up properly, they just install what was in the kit. Extra height generally means more components, think high steer and driveline angles. Lots of stuff to make it drive good on the road which is what this looks like the build will be.
MC or RK is a bunch of names? both have their own pros and cons, i mean im not hear saying TF, MC, RK, RE, Synergy, Evo, Rancho, OME, even skyjacker.... its RK or MC, and i have uses and no gos for each. and my concern is the trip out to moab, i want to drive back home... do i have a better shot at that with RK or MC... i mean cmon how much more whole can i think about it? i have confirmed with the shop doing the install, i will be in the shop with them once CA are on and shocks are in, i will be flexing with their lift to measure my bumpstops and droop, i am thinking about it clearly, instead of hydraulic bumpstops ill just use sumo springs,.....i mean its not a prerunner, long arm build, its an all around take me to the end of the earth with minimal wear and tear maintenance....MC arms is the conclusion. 2.5 or 3.5 is the question... if i go 3.5, i will go DS, and high steer most likely upfront
Old 04-06-2016, 08:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
If you're looking at duratracs I highly doubt you'll be in any situation that'll bend a MC Arm and not a RK one.. I'd be more worried about the exhaust tubing smittybilt uses for their bumpers/sliders than dom tubing compared to round.
agree on both accounts, the fact of south florida is, no rocks, but plenty of trails to abuse a 4x4, of which i will do. had the 34.4 on 18 wheels duratracs on my 2012, and never had one issue, with alot of abuse. i dont need a rock crawling tire for my DD. maybe once i get my V8 miata for a DD ill be ok to get some beadlocks and heavy as shit tires.

the gen 2 smittybuilt products suit my needs, saw both bumpers in person and fit all my requirements. only problem is the shitty leds built into the rear. yes the tubing may not be up to par, but for a DD it will work just fine.

i understand this all might sound rock crawler or Mall crawler, but i have my reasons and reasoning. and experience, so im not behind the ball, just mostly decided with a few remaining questions. my 12JKU was built in my and a forum friends garage. 90% on my own, so this is my second go around. in the past 4 years, jeep, to audi s6, to bmw x5 forums, this seems to be one of the more hostile environments in recent experience.

thank you everyone for the help and kind words, jeeps are way too customization to have any type of opinion, except what works for you.

Last edited by jkjouster; 04-06-2016 at 08:19 AM.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:46 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Huh, I counted 7 different brands thrown out in your first post along with a description of your beemer which in truth nobody but you cares about or has any real validity on a jeep forum. Not being hostel here, just blunt, start a Facebook page if you are looking for "likes". You seem to have everything figured out but can't decide on 1" difference in height? Its your jeep, build it like you want it. The biggest drawbacks about big lifts on the factory axle is the lack of caster and the stability.

Idk it seems you are just posting to show off a new rig and how you can throw money at it then really asking advice. Moab is not hard with a JKU on 35's and lockers, if you can drive at all you will not have any issues there. I really can't see someone with a brand new rig trying extreme trails where roll overs and body damage are common, but you may have so much money you don't care about such things. You should be fine with any aftermarket control arm to run to Moab and back and are overthinking a non issue using one brand of control arm and replacing with a different joint. Personally if I were to choose an adjustable short arm today it would be Synergy with their double adjusters and new joints.

As far as a daily driver on 35's of course 2.5" (more likely 3"+ from those coils) would do you better for 99% of the driving you are going to do. It makes no sense to build a vehicle for one trail you might hit in your lifetime. Moab is about the scenery more then anything, the trails were tough on old jeeps with 8" of ground clearance on 28" tires and no lockers. If you want to see some real hard trails just run up north to Windsock in TN or Black mountain in KY.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Huh, I counted 7 different brands thrown out in your first post along with a description of your beemer which in truth nobody but you cares about or has any real validity on a jeep forum. Not being hostel here, just blunt, start a Facebook page if you are looking for "likes". You seem to have everything figured out but can't decide on 1" difference in height? Its your jeep, build it like you want it. The biggest drawbacks about big lifts on the factory axle is the lack of caster and the stability.

Idk it seems you are just posting to show off a new rig and how you can throw money at it then really asking advice. Moab is not hard with a JKU on 35's and lockers, if you can drive at all you will not have any issues there. I really can't see someone with a brand new rig trying extreme trails where roll overs and body damage are common, but you may have so much money you don't care about such things. You should be fine with any aftermarket control arm to run to Moab and back and are overthinking a non issue using one brand of control arm and replacing with a different joint. Personally if I were to choose an adjustable short arm today it would be Synergy with their double adjusters and new joints.

As far as a daily driver on 35's of course 2.5" (more likely 3"+ from those coils) would do you better for 99% of the driving you are going to do. It makes no sense to build a vehicle for one trail you might hit in your lifetime. Moab is about the scenery more then anything, the trails were tough on old jeeps with 8" of ground clearance on 28" tires and no lockers. If you want to see some real hard trails just run up north to Windsock in TN or Black mountain in KY.
so i was just mentioning the products i chose for my build.... front to rear.. which is what everyone does so people have knowledge of what they are looking at?(once i complete the build)

of course no one but bmw owners care to hear..i was just venting for an easier release...actually just signed the papers for the rubicon so im happy, and said my goodbyes...it was difficult. just background on my story..again dont think anyone would care but who gives...

and in no way am throwing money at this build, i had a budget, and got the basics i had to have. just want to do it right once suspension wise, and its my 1 and only vehicle DDer. want it to to be tough, usable and not all that much mall crawler, not looking for likes or lust, just input form the people on here with knowledge like yourself...

synergy is quality but not sure which kit in particular your motioning
Old 04-06-2016, 07:05 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I was referring to the synergy arms, not a specific kit. They have several to choose from in different heights and completeness. They use a joint similar to the MC joint and the double adjuster makes dialing in the suspension easier since you don't have tor remove the arms on one end to adjust. Off road evolution has an arm with the double adjuster as well but uses the proven Johnny Joint, a bit different from what you were looking at. I try not to recommend brands but what from what you were looking at and the fact you have been away from jeeps you may not be aware of synergy's new joints. They don't get near the input from fanboys and reps as the MC and RK products get.

I saw the OME shocks you were asking about at 4w parts today and I think they ran $489 each. A King double bypass runs around $530 so their is a slight different in price. As far as kings needing to be rebuilt, that is typical for a race shock that is being raced. Installed on a non race vehicle that does not see the abuse they should last just as long as any other quality shock. Either is really overkill for what you are looking at doing with the jeep but as long as you don't need to change the travel of the shock they should be the last shock you would ever need to buy.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want to see some real hard trails just run up north to Windsock in TN or Black mountain in KY.
That's the realest thing I've read all day. You da man Dirtman.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:49 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I love Windrock, been there a couple of times. Its a better place to wheel then the rubicon but the scenery on the rubicon is better.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:19 AM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Huh, I counted 7 different brands thrown out in your first post along with a description of your beemer which in truth nobody but you cares about or has any real validity on a jeep forum. Not being hostel here, just blunt, start a Facebook page if you are looking for "likes".
Like Given.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:16 AM
JK Newbie

I myself debated between the MC game changer and the RK x factor. I ended up getting the RK 3.5 x factor kit based on the deal I got from Northridge 4x4. I installed it myself in a weekend and have been driving with it for about a month now and have no complaints. I upgraded to Fox shox with the kit and I can say it rides better then stock. It has great flex and the control arms are super beefy. I am happy with the outcome!
Old 08-04-2016, 08:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

came down to this

Rock krawler 2.5 Expedition kit with 3/4 inch front spacer added
OME BP51 shocks
Crawler Coneptz fenders Linexed
Poison spyder inner fender liner rattle canned black and modified/chopped

rides freekin fantastic... alittle flighty, i think its the toe...

Quick Reply: COMING BACK TO YOU..... Brand NEW 2016 rubicon build.