Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Cold air intake risks???

Old 06-26-2014, 02:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold air intake risks???

I would like to get a "cold air intake" i no its not nescerily a real cold air intake but lik a k&n or something lik that but i wanna no if theres a big difference in the chances of hydro locking the engine with the stock set up vs a cold air i mean its not like its that much lower but are there any other risks i should know about does the stock intake have anything that helps prevent hydro lock? I kinda broke my air cleaner box wen installing something and i tried to fix it and broke it more lmao so i dont just wanna get one for more "power" im just trying to weigh the risks in a cai cause maybe ill just get a used stock one but i guess a k&n would look nice help me out guys
Old 06-26-2014, 03:00 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Um well depending on which one you go with. I don't think any of them are lower as they mount in the same spot. But some like mine are open so there's a greater risk of hydro lock. But some are enclosed just like your stock box like volant. I'm considering switching to volant because they make an enclosed box one that is compatible with their snorkel so if I ever wanted to upgrade to a snorkel later then I would kind of have the best of both I guess.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:27 PM
JK Junkie

The AEV model shows a diagram where their unit channels water out of the intake, if it happens to get in there.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:28 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts

The K&N I've seen has a conical filter that's open to the engine compartment where the stock air filter box sits.

The 3.8L stock filter sucks from the side-top, the air makes u-turn, water can drop out (into the bottom), and if I remember correctly there's a drain hole at the bottom to let water out.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call the dealer! Aftermarket intake will void warranty. Local dealer in Dallas voided power train on friends jeep after finding dust in intake. IT WAS A MOPAR INTAKE INSTALLED BY THE DEALER HE ORDERED IT FROM!

Sent using smoke signals
Old 06-26-2014, 03:33 PM
JK Junkie

Most intakes that channel water out or have water bypasses and stuff like that are only really designed off like a short exposure to a small amount if water, so they still have a chance of hydro locking and I wouldn't recommend running them through a river or creek.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:35 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Dbmoorejr
Call the dealer! Aftermarket intake will void warranty. Local dealer in Dallas voided power train on friends jeep after finding dust in intake. IT WAS A MOPAR INTAKE INSTALLED BY THE DEALER HE ORDERED IT FROM! Sent using smoke signals
Yes call and make sure. This depends greatly in the dealer though. I had dust in my stock tube when I pulled it off to put in my CAI so I'm not sure how they are basing their decision on that.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:39 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Dbmoorejr
Call the dealer! Aftermarket intake will void warranty. Local dealer in Dallas voided power train on friends jeep after finding dust in intake. IT WAS A MOPAR INTAKE INSTALLED BY THE DEALER HE ORDERED IT FROM!

Sent using smoke signals
Researched air filter efficiency a while back; the conclusion I came to was that most dyno HP gains from intakes/filters were simply from less efficient filters (that let more dirt through with a bit less pressure drop). Besides, the gains are small and just at the higher RPM range.

Last edited by Mr.T; 06-26-2014 at 04:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Cold air intake risks???