Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Cold Air Intake from Dash?

Old 08-20-2008, 02:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Air Intake from Dash?

Ok, so I changed my filter last week after killing my fan motor going through mud... found a whole bunch of dirt on the filter... said a quick thank you to the guy upstairs that it wasn't worse.

But that got me thinking, I had planned to eventually do a snorkel for water and mud play, but I won't ever truly get deep enough for a snorkel, more just concerned about the mud and water kicked up in the engine bay. So, what about routing a new bit of tubing from the stock box back to the the center of the dash up by the window? Chances of getting any serious water there are pretty slim. Could be covered for normal driving, still use the standard intake point, no chance of rain getting in etc. But for crossing mud puddles, uncover it, and seal the stock intake port with a cap.

Thoughts?

Would this work even if the hard top was on, i.e. is there enough air flow or would it need to be only with top off? Would it be super noisy?

Just pulling at straws here for options.

thanks
Old 08-20-2008, 02:16 PM
JK Super Freak

I kind of like the idea... I'd have to look at it to see what you'd have to do to route the air hose, but it might work as a temporary thing that you put on when wheeling and take off for daily driving. I've been kind of paranoid about hydrolocking the engine...

Anyone have any other good ideas for an implementation of this idea or anything else that could be a temporary snorkel?
Old 08-20-2008, 08:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

this was done in alot of older military vehicles,when I was a kid,we had 1953 duece and a half that had exactly what you are talking about
good idea here
Old 08-21-2008, 04:59 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it would be slightly noisey because you would hear the sucking in of the engine and also have to think about the air volume that is needed too. I could imagine that its about 400-500 Cubic feet per min at full throttle.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:27 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jkkat
I think it would be slightly noisey because you would hear the sucking in of the engine and also have to think about the air volume that is needed too. I could imagine that its about 400-500 Cubic feet per min at full throttle.
Us guys like to hear suckng sounds.....
Old 08-21-2008, 06:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jkkat
That would be my concern. The rig is loud enough.

But very cool idea.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:56 AM
JK Freak

The captain has turned off the no smoking lights. Feel free to light-em up.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by BaltChief
Us guys like to hear suckng sounds.....
Sucking sounds are much more pleasant than bitching sounds... or gurgling sounds coming from the motor.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:13 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sssssssssssllllllllllllllllllluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuur rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp pppppppppppp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
Old 08-21-2008, 10:25 AM
JK Super Freak

I have a feeling this thread is going to head south quickly...

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake from Dash?